New small, long life home server

Arwen

MVP
My current "home" server is a fit-PC fitlet model H, link below. As it stands now, it works fine and meets all my needs. However, it's getting old. I think I bought it early 2015, so 7 years old. It does get both full backups, (including the 2TB Media dataset), and the OS to a bootable MicroSD card, (for recovery if / when needed).

fit-PC - fitlet - model H

If I can find something new, that has these features, I might start working to replace it.
  • Small
  • Quiet, (though fanless is not a requirement)
  • Single DC power in
  • AMD CPU, at least quad core
  • Support 16GBs of memory. Preferably 32GB and ECC, but not a requirement
  • Dual Ethernet, one of which should support 2.5Gbps or higher
  • At least 2 x 2.5" SATA disk bays, preferably 15mm high
  • At least one 4 lane NVMe 2280 slot
That old fitlet-H does have a DC UPS, but I can easily change to an A.C. UPS.

IPMI, while nice, is not really needed. I do have the serial port on the fitlet-H activated in Grub & Linux for console. But, never bothered to change the BIOS to use the serial console.

Last edited:

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
How about the fit3?

or the Airtop3?

Arwen

MVP
Both are Intel. Due to Intel's behavior in both CPU security flaw responses, and anti-competitive "deals", I am avoiding Intel CPUs.

Etorix

Wizard

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity

Arwen

MVP
AMD is not without its own security issues…
We wish you well with your ARM port of TrueNAS. :tongue:
Yes, yes, I know that AMD is not perfect. And for that mater, neither are ARM products.

It is just that Intel made sweet heart deals with PC and server vendors that locked them into Intel. Later found to be less ethical, (or possibly illegal in some cases). Plus, Intel's response to many of the CPU security flaws was slow, opaque, or out right denial.

This almost fit the requirement list, except for the single SATA port (and perhaps the Realtek NICs):
I had seen those too. Strange thing is that the SoC does have 2 SATA ports, but I think one is wired to a M.2 slot.

Thanks, I had forgotten about that list. I will review it.