new setup, truenas not seeing disks connected via intel RES2SV240

I have 24 drives connected to an intel RES2SV240 with those mini sas cables you can get, full hardware specs are as follows:

* the case is an inter-tech 4u 4424 like this: https://www.inter-tech.de/en/products/ipc/storage-cases/4u-4424 which comes with six built-in backplane thingers
* the backplane thingers are wired into an intel RES2SV240 as stated above with sas cables
* the motherboard is a Huananzhi x79 16D, kinda a sketchy motherboard but it was the only thing i could find that fit all the other parts i had. I previously had a supermicro dual socket server board but i couldn't fit the PSU and the mobo in the case i bought so i swtiched to this instead, and hey it boots so whatever.
* I put 256GB of samsung ECC ram in it
* filled both CPU slots with xeon e5-2690V2
* two 1tb samsung SSDs, one for OS and one for cache
* and finally i absolutely beggared myself buying 6 16 terabyte seagate exos x18s, 12 12 terabyte exos x16s, and 6 wd red 4 terabytes... the drives power on/spin up and i get the little activity light for each one

now i have truenas installed, but when i go to add a pool or check the attached disks, i only see the two SSDs. did i mess up getting the intel HBA? or am i just missing some drivers/some extra configuration? any help would be much appreciated

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
the backplane thingers are wired into an intel RES2SV240 as stated above with sas cables
The fact that you don't mention a SAS controller suggests to me that you're missing a SAS controller. The RES2SV240 is just a SAS expander - don't be fooled by the PCIe card edge connector, it's only there to be used (optionally) to power the card and can be ignored if you provide power via the ATA hard disk power connector also on the board.

So, if this is indeed the case, you just need to add a SAS controller.

Okay so it looks like the card I got only does power... so what I need is something like this https://a.co/d/ffBrUuY , then I connect one of the SAS cables to this thing, then the other five to the RES2SV240, then I connect a cable from the RES2SV240 to the SAS controller? Does that work? Im kinda lost but from what I can tell it seems like the thing I currently have is more like a "switch" but for disks

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Okay so it looks like the card I got only does power...
I wouldn't put it that way. It's an expander (akin to a switch in Ethernet networks).
so what I need is something like this https://a.co/d/ffBrUuY ,
Yes, though I make no comment on that specific seller.
then I connect one of the SAS cables to this thing, then the other five to the RES2SV240, then I connect a cable from the RES2SV240 to the SAS controller?
Yes.
Does that work? Im kinda lost but from what I can tell it seems like the thing I currently have is more like a "switch" but for disks
Yup, that's pretty much it.

I wouldn't put it that way. It's an expander (akin to a switch in Ethernet networks).

Yes, though I make no comment on that specific seller.

Yes.

Yup, that's pretty much it.
Phew, I sure am glad I didnt waste all that money on that card. Thanks for your help