new home install:file sharing+SCSI for ESXi5.1

Status
Not open for further replies.

marcos

Cadet
First of all, I would like to thank all the people involved in this admirable project: developers, partners, comunity...you all have made FreeNAS a point of reference for the whole open source movement. Sorry for my English, and thanks for all the time and effort put in this project. As a new IT student, this type of initiatives help me a lot with my homework.

My question is about if FreeNAS 9.1 (I know it´s still in beta) is the suitable OS for my intentions.
I need a small NAS for mostly (but not only) home-media purpouse, very sporadical backups and, if posible, vmware ESXi 5.1 integration (for my school exercises)
I don´t need RAID, deduplication, encryptation ...

The hardware I´ve got available for this home projetc is an old HP dc5700 microtower:
-intel core 2 duo E6320 @ 1,86
-6gb DDR2 standard RAM (no ECC etc...)
-2 x 1500gb HDDs (seagate ST31500341AS)
-HP mobo based on intel Q963 / ICH 8 chipset (4 SATA, no RAID)
-2 NICs:
* Broadcom NetXtreme BCM5755 PCI-E Gb (in mainboard)
* Realtek RTL8139 10/100 PCI
FreeNAS 9.1 would be installed on a 4gb USB.

As I´ve said before, I need it for:
-sharing music, video, ebooks and many other type of files among windows PCs (most of them windows 8), linux PCs and phones (debian7,mageia3,android4 etc...) with different policies and permissions.
-downloading files (I know at the moment only torrents through transmission are available, but I´m OK with that)
-Backups and file sync (really not very often, only for windows and linux)
-Dynamic DNS integration: I know DynDNS is supported, and I´ve readen in 9.1 there will be more providers supported, but I still don´t know which providers
-and, if possible at the same time, using freeNAS as SCSI disk for an ESXi 5.1 to use ir as a datastore to run my virtual machines. I´recently installed ESXi 5.1 in an old core 2 quad home rigg for my school exercises, and I´ve read many times that is posible to use it with freeNAS, but I still dont know very well how to do it in FreeNAS 9.1 and ESXi 5.1. I mean, should I use another hard disk for this purpouse (I could add an old samsung 750 HDD I´ve got lying around, but it´s a bit faulty: anyway, it would be used just to run test virtual machines, so I don´t mind about failures) or can I have "everything" (my shared files&folders, backups, the SCSI disk for ESXi etc...) in those two 1,5 tb seagate HDDs I mention above?

Apart from that one, my questions about the whole situation are:
- Should I use FreeNAS or should I go for another similar Linux solution? It´s obvious that in a FreeNAS forum the answers probably will go for freeNAS. I just wanted to point that I'm more familiar with Linux than BSD, and in my case and for my needs why FreeNAS is the right option.
-If I chose FreeNAS (I´ve almost done) should I go for ZFS or UFS? I´ve readen about the many benefits of ZFS and I would like to test it, but again, in my case, with the hardware available and for my needs, is ZFS the right choice? or will UFS will make the same function in a 3 tb scenario but without the resources penalty?
-If I choose freeNAS, which is the fastest way to fill those 2 hard disks with the files I need to save in freeNAS (all those files are at the moment saved in other HDDs, all of them formated in NTFS)..I´ve red I can import them, may I plug those disks in a SATA port and just transfer the files to the freeNAS volume and that´s all? or I need to do it through the net or USB?

I´ve been reading a lot about freeNAS before posting here, but, as you allready know if you´ve readen till here, I´m pretty newbie with everything related to network and storage administration, virtualization etc... (I´ve just started studying last year to become a sysad because of the unemployment crisis in Spain, I studied philosophy at the university when I was younger, but nowadays there´s no job for that in this country) and that´s why I am a bit confused with all of this, correct me if I´m wrong, but I think what I´m trying to do shouldn´t be very difficult. Probably I just need to find the right tutorial in this or other forum or wiki.

Anyway, sorry again for my English, and thanks for your time and help

Status
Not open for further replies.