BUILD new hardware or add new disks to the old nas?(business)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Borja

Contributor
Hi,

We have many doubts about which way to go.

We have an emc celerra ns20 that is becoming old i think. it run 7 years 24/7, is a great machine, 3 disks enclosures up to 45 disks. Has about 35 disks now, about 30 seagate cheetah FC. Has 8 sata bays free so its easy to extend capacity adding 1TB disks sata.
But, one of the redundant power supplies is faulty, many components of this NAS are becoming discontinued and im not sure if is better invest in this machine or build a new one, more simple but newer. Disks are in raid 5 groups, but data depends on hardware raid controllers, i think is a big risk that some critical hardware of this NAS breaks.
In the other hand power consumption related to capacity is bad. i read in specs that power consumption is estimated about 1200w with 15 disks.

So, the first question is what would you do.

In case answer is build a new one im a bit lost. i read some guides here. So i think about NSC-800 chasis with 400w 1u power supply that u-nas are selling.
I don't think about motherboard models but for what i read i like to choose a supermicro that fits requirements (support for 8 disks min). I appreciate any suggestions.
disks 4TB HGST deskpro nas.
The typical use of nas is to store and play videos, not bigger than 3GB. And, to store and edit docs and pdfs. Not databases. So i think may be avoton it's enough.

I really appreciatte help with this. Thanks.

See my thread here https://forums.freenas.org/index.ph...for-a-compact-chassis-case.35153/#post-212537 , im not sure what supermicro has to offer in the ITX department, i came across a few but didnt see any with onboard SAS connectors, so your option would be to get the riser + a M1015 or a 9211-8i and get some super shorty SAS cables. Or i think they make reverse SATA to SAS cables that would allow you to plug 4 SATA connections and make it into a SAS connection.

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler
one of the redundant power supplies is faulty, many components of this NAS are becoming discontinued ... Disks are in raid 5 groups, but data depends on hardware raid controllers
All this screams "build a new one!"

Borja

Contributor
See my thread here https://forums.freenas.org/index.ph...for-a-compact-chassis-case.35153/#post-212537 , im not sure what supermicro has to offer in the ITX department, i came across a few but didnt see any with onboard SAS connectors, so your option would be to get the riser + a M1015 or a 9211-8i and get some super shorty SAS cables. Or i think they make reverse SATA to SAS cables that would allow you to plug 4 SATA connections and make it into a SAS connection.

Why do you think i need sas onboard connectors? I saw your thread and i really like the configuration in the pictures. But MB has ony 6 sata connector and nsc-800 has 8 bays. i can't find a good sata controller with 2 sata ports... and with six or more are very expensive. what do you recommend?

I suggested finding a board with onboard SAS, as the other option occupies the PCI slot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.