New FreeNAS setup - old(ish) hardware

Status
Not open for further replies.

org_ok

Dabbler
Hello.

I'm new on the forum - but have been stalking FreeNAS for some time now.

I'm currently in the process of getting my first dedicated box up and running - so input from the more experienced crowd is appriciated.
Main area will be NAS, backup of pictures etc (with offsite sync if possible), VM's to play with, surveillance (move my Zoneminder hack'n slash setup onto this box)

Atm I have the choice between this:

Alt 1:
HP Z800 - 2x Xeon 5650, 96 GB ECC Samsung Ram

Alt 2:
Asus Z9PA-D8 - 2x Xeon E5-2670, 64 GB ECC Samsung Ram

The RAM in both are 8GB DDR3 2RX4 PC3-10600R 240-Pin 1333MHz ECC REG Registered sticks.

Both:
HP NC 364T quad nic (HP branded Intel nic as far as I can tell)
IBM M1015 SAS controller (LSI branded, but crossflashed to IT mode, P20 firmware)
4x 4 TB WD Red drives (more will be added when my wallet says "ok" - maybe 1 dedicated hot spare?)
2 x SanDisk 16 GB USB

This will all hook into my ZyXEL GS1900-24E - and that brings up another question.

Can I have my quad nic in LACP to feed the masses (3-4 PC's, 2-3 stream devices, 1 WiFi-router, surveillance 2-4 cam's) and use the built in nic as "admin" ?

Alot of "can I", "should I" here - but I'd like to get most of the thinking done before I slap the hardware together ( Still got hair on my head, and would like to keep it there ;-) )

And at the end of it all:
- Yes, it's way overpowered any wich way I go - but I have this (free beats buying atm)
- Yes, it will add to my electricity bill
- No, I will not swap out part A for part B if part A will serve me for the next 1-2 years
- Yes, I've been using Google (but experience says "ask someone that has tried it before" will produce better and faster answeres)
- Yes, I'll be very glad for the feedback I'll hopefully get.

org_ok

bigphil

Patron
I'd choose the Asus board. More features than the Z800 has. It's a little newer, iKVM, USB 3, etc. WD reds are good, but with only 4 of them, your redundancy options are limited. You can't add additional disks to a vdev once created, so if you were to set it up today, stripped mirrors would be your best bet. Plus....that's preferred for vm's because of the iops potential. As for LACP, should work as long as your switch supports it.

Status
Not open for further replies.