SOLVED network settings (IP address and link aggregation) never saved

spanik

Dabbler
I have installed Truenas Core 13.0 U2 on my QNAP TS-453Pro (celeron J1900, 8GB, 4x 2TB HD, OS on USB3 SSD). This device has 4 1GbE ports.

What I want is to have port igb0 on a fixed address of 192.168.2.6 and port igb2 and igb3 as a link aggrgation on 192.168.2.8. At the moment I haven't configured igb0 and it is set as DHCP.

I went to the "network interface" settings and added a "link aggregation" lagg1. First added igb2 and igb3 to the lagg1. Then I disabled DHCP, selected LACP and filled in the address 192.168.2.8 at the bottom of the settings. After I clicked "APPLY" it ran a network test. This just ended without any messages.

After the test, the link aggregation is gone from the interface list and interface igb2 is back set to DHCP and igb3 has received IP address 0.0.0.0/24. If I go to the properties of igb2 and igb3, LAGG ports and LAGG protocol are set to N/A. On my DHCP server the whole range of 192.168.2.1 to 192.168.2.10 is excluded from DHCP.

I tried this a few times now but always the same result. Do I need to do something extra to have the settings saved?

spanik

Dabbler
I don't get it. The only way to connect to this truenas is with igb0 using DHCP. If I add a link aggregation lagg on igb2 and igb3 and give it a fixed IP address of 192.168.2.8. Then disable DHCP on igb0 and test the new setting. It comes back with only DHCP on igb0.

Giving a fixed IP to igb0 and doing the test it comes back as DHCP.

How can you set a link aggregation and give it a fixed IP on this truenas software?

Alecmascot

Guru
Lots in the forum about this.
Have you looked ?
Do a search and have a read.

spanik

Dabbler
Yes, I have read I cannot have more than one interface on the same network unless I use link aggregation. So that is why I want to set it up. I followed the steps but it just doesn't work. After the settings and the test it just is never saved. After the restart everything is back to single interface and DHCP.

So I tried first to set a single interface to a fixed IP and this also does not work. After the test it is back to DHCP.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
You need to click "Test settings", then log back in with the new IP address, then click "Save settings" to make them permanent. It's a two step process to prevent accidental lock out. You can increase the timeout from 60 seconds to a higher value before clicking "Test".

spanik

Dabbler
You need to click "Test settings", then log back in with the new IP address, then click "Save settings" to make them permanent. It's a two step process to prevent accidental lock out. You can increase the timeout from 60 seconds to a higher value before clicking "Test".
Thanks! That was what I was doing wrong, I need to switch to the new address during the test. I did the configuration of the lagg1 and during the test pulled the cable of igb0. Now it seems to work.

I was under the impression that during the test it just checked if the interfaces of the link aggregation did receive the LACP packets and if that was ok, then I could save the setting and log in again.