network question - netapp qsfp as qsfp 40Eth cable

iliak

Contributor
I have mellanox cx3 cards and compatible 40gb Ethernet switch

Usually i use oem mellanox qsfp qsfp cables

i found some listing for X6557-R6 NETAPP 0.5M (at 1\10 the price) it looks the same as qsfp qsfp cable. does it work ?

It depends on each side of the link. Some things are fairly tolerant of any SFP/QSFP, and some are not.

iliak

Contributor
the two sides are:
  • mellanox duel qsfp (configured to work on 40 gb Ethernet )
  • the other side is cisco nexus 3132q

If you already have the QSFP DAC cables, you can try them. I would use fiber QSFP's because you can get a manufacturer match on each side and use a fiber patch cord. The Nexus should give you a message if it doesn't like the transceiver. You might get the Nexus to cooperate if you add the hidden command
Code:
service unsupported-transceiver

iliak

Contributor
If you already have the QSFP DAC cables, you can try them. I would use fiber QSFP's because you can get a manufacturer match on each side and use a fiber patch cord. The Nexus should give you a message if it doesn't like the transceiver. You might get the Nexus to cooperate if you add the hidden command
Code:
service unsupported-transceiver
Id dont have them, found some lots at ebay at fraction of the cost, that is the reason why i asked it...

Id dont have them, found some lots at ebay at fraction of the cost, that is the reason why i asked it...
Using the same manufacturer QSFP on each side and a fiber patch will definitely work (assuming your hardware is good, etc.). The QSFP DAC cable MIGHT work, but then it might not. Every combination is different. FS.COM will make custom DAC cables for you, but that might be more expensive. You ought to be able to find used optics on eBay for a reasonable price.