Network drive overloaded

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryan Zimmerman

Dabbler
Hello

I am new to FreeNas and I am having issues with my network drive that run the backup to the FreeNas. Yesterday on the network drive I had about 12.3Gb of free space of 310Gb. Now today, it is showing 0kb free of 310Gb. I went and scanned all the properties and noticed there is about 340Gb used up of 310Gb and I am not sure why. Has anyone see this issue before?

My apologies if I am not giving all the information probably needed. Again, I just started with this when it was already implemented in the building where I am located, and have no idea what I am doing.

Can we have zpool status and zfs list outputs please

from the command line type in zpool status and give us the output and then the same for zfs list

Ryan Zimmerman

Dabbler
from the command line type in zpool status and give us the output and then the same for zfs list

After more digging I found that the FreeNas is full and I need to delete old snapshots. Is there a location where I can find instructions on how to do so? Trust me when I say I have 0 experience with this and need all the help I can get.

Sounds about right. Login to the UI and under Storage click Snapshots. There you will see all your snapshots. Delete away.

PS: Assuming you have Periodic snapshot schedules setup then snaps should auto expire after x period of time so after fixing the issue by manually deleting snapshots you may want to investigate if your schedules are appropriate.

Beforehand you can run the below command and take a look at how much space is being used by snaps on a given dataset before deletion.

zfs get usedbysnapshots pool1/dataset1

Ryan Zimmerman

Dabbler
Sounds about right. Login to the UI and under Storage click Snapshots. There you will see all your snapshots. Delete away.

PS: Assuming you have Periodic snapshot schedules setup then snaps should auto expire so after fixing the issue by manually deleting snapshots you may want to investigate if your schedules are appropriate.

Does it matter which ones I delete? I just don't want to go overboard and erase something I shouldn't.

Do this:

Beforehand you can run the below command and take a look at how much space is being used by snaps on a given dataset before deletion.

how many datasets do you have?

Ryan Zimmerman

Dabbler
Do this:

I am not sure where to find the command line. I am looking at all this information on IE from my computer.

Probably easiest then launch a shell session from the browser. Click on Shell on the left hand side of the screen. Make the shell screen as big as you can using the bottom left drop down options.

Then type:

zfs list

and print screen that so I can take a look first.

Ryan Zimmerman

Dabbler
Probably easiest then launch a shell session from the browser. Click on Shell on the left hand side of the screen. Make the shell screen as big as you can using the bottom left drop down options.

Then type:

zfs list

and print screen that so I can take a look first.

I tried that and when I type in zfs list, nothing happens...attached is screenshot

Attachments

• shell.JPG
    shell.JPG
    29.5 KB · Views: 322
try it again as it doesn't look like it entered correctly. just type:

zfs list

and hit enter

Do you know where the FreeNAS box is located? Does it have a Monitor and keyboard connected to it? If so might be worth a visit.

send a print screen of you main storage page showing your datasets, periodic snapshot page and snapshot page please

Ryan Zimmerman

Dabbler
See attached

Attachments

• snapshot1.JPG
    snapshot1.JPG
    22.4 KB · Views: 327
  • snapshot2.JPG
    snapshot2.JPG
    29.9 KB · Views: 338
  • snapshot3.JPG
    snapshot3.JPG
    72.6 KB · Views: 297
ok ta. I can't see the pool or dataset name as you've cropped it but the one with the 6.8TB used is the one you want to focus on. you're snapshot schedule doesn't last long (1 week) so Im not convinced it is snaps causing your problem. You could do with running the command below on that dataset to see how much snaps are consuming.

Just noticed it looks like your pool is called Storage so it would be:

zfs get usedbysnapshots Storage/dataset1

dataset1 being replaced with the name of the 6.8TB dataset

Status
Not open for further replies.