NetGear ReadyCloud NAS End-of-Life

dofdear

Cadet
I have a NetGear ReadyCloud NAS (RN102) that apparently hit it's EOL (without notice but that's a different issue). The device can only be accessed locally from my home network via ethernet or WiFi. It can not be accessed remotely so basically the cloud functionality is gone. Before I spend hundreds of dollars again I'm inquiring whether there are any software packages that will enable cloud functionality via the web using either a windows machine or android mobile devices? Any guidance is appreciated. BB

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
Are you asking about apps or functionality for TrueNAS? or are you hoping for advice on what you might install on your ReadyNAS?

dofdear

Cadet
I'm hoping to find advice to continue to use ReadyNAS beyond local connectivity. Would prefer that than starting over with new hardware, etc. Is there a software package that will work on ReadyNAS? I used Windows and Android to access the device remotely through the now defunct NetGear app/portal. Any recommendations and guidance is appreciated. BB

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
If I am not mistaken the CPU in this unit is ARM based and the system comes with 512 MB of memory. All variants of TrueNAS have much much higher hardware demands. A 64 bit Intel or AMD CPU and at least 16 GB of preferrably ECC memory is what you would need.

So, no, you won't find any software here that you can load on that system.

Given that it is still working and only connected locally, you might want to just keep it running and configure some type of VPN on your router/firewall for remote access?

@dofdear

Welcome!

1. You will not be able to install TrueNAS on a Marvel ARM processor, but apparently there is a VPN server app for ReadyNAS.

2. Or set up a VPN server on your firewall appliance, assuming it supports it.

3. Probably should not continue to run an EOL NAS if it means it will no longer receive security updates. Purchase a used x86_64 OEM NAS off evilBay and install TrueNAS.

Last edited:

danb35

Hall of Famer
Purchase a used x86_64 OEM NAS off evilBay and install TrueNAS
...or OMV, or any of a number of other NAS distros if they better suit your needs--TrueNAS isn't for everyone.