Need some advice

ijzerman

Dabbler
Hi,

Im fairly new to nas setups, so that's why i'm asking this question.

I have got myself an old Dell T110 II with 4 WD Purple 4TB disks. I will not setup the disks in raid using the h200 controller, the disks will be just seen as disks.

I will be using this nas for storing my photos and also for downloads from usenet.

I will be making back-ups of my photos onto an external USB disk every few weeks.

What would be the best raid setup for my situation?

Alecmascot

Guru
You could set up two mirrored vdevs which gives you raw 8tb or add a drive and use RaidZ2 for raw 12tb.
It's easy to expand the T110 II chassis to take up to 7 drives. Replace the 5 1/4 devices with a cage for 3 X 3.5 and add an extra cable to the H200.
You have flashed the H200 to IT mode ?

ijzerman

Dabbler
i already have the h200 in dumb mode. i can see the disks connected to the controller. so they are in non-raid mode. is that what you mean?

but you dont advice a raid-z1 with 4 disks ?

Alecmascot

Guru
4tb is about the break-point for raidz-1 to raidz-2. It depends on the re-silver time.
If you are happy with your backups then raidz-1 would be ok.

jediweapon

Cadet
The striped mirrored vdevs will give you better performance, you would end up with 8TB usable, similar to a RAID 10 setup.

ijzerman

Dabbler
thanks very much guys. now i have to choose between purchasing 4 new 4tb discs on the same price of almost new 6tb discs :P

the only downside is that the 6tb disca have two years of guarantee instead of 3 years of guarantee on new discs

Yorick

Wizard
Which 6TB disks? Make and model?