Need help joining to Active Directory

Status
Not open for further replies.

voegel_mann

Cadet
FreeNAS noob here, and not very experienced with anything outside of Windows so forgive my general lack of knowledge. As the title states, I'm stuck trying to join my FreeNAS 11.1 system to Active Directory. I've followed the official documentation, as well as many guides and forum threads on the internet. I am trying to setup FreeNAS for domain users to access data. Ideally, some users will be able to access more than others, depending on permissions.

Issue 1: When I disable guest access, all users on Windows clients lose access to the share. No prompt for credentials, just a popup saying "You might not have permission to access this network resource". How can I get the prompt?

Issue 2: How can I sync the domain users with FreeNAS? I really don't want to have to create a ton of user accounts for all of our domain users separately in FreeNAS.

Issue 3: Using Shell, I can view Domain groups and users with wbinfo -g and -u, respectively. However, when I run wbinfo -t, I get the following:

Code:
checking the trust secret for domain example.domain via RPC calls failed
wbcCheckTrustCredentials(example.domain): error code was NT_STATUS_NO_TRUST_SAM_ACCOUNT (0xc000018b)
failed to call wbcCheckTrustCredentials: WBC_ERR_AUTH_ERROR
Could not check secret

Thanks in advance for any insight you can provide.

Nate

voegel_mann

Cadet
To clarify: you've double-checked all of the prepatory work listed at http://doc.freenas.org/11/directoryservice.html#active-directory? And which errors do you receive when running the commands listed at http://doc.freenas.org/11/directoryservice.html#if-the-system-will-not-join-the-domain?

Thank you for the reply. I did, that was actually one of the first troubleshooting tips I found. After a little more searching, I found a guide that had the same series of commands (possibly the same ones) and after running through them, it worked. I could have simply made a typo the first time as it was a long day. Running wbinfo -t, -g and -u provide successful results, so there's issue 2 gone. Small victories!

Now, I just need to figure out how to give domain users access to the resource and have them prompted for credentials. Is this something I need to configure on AD DS or in FreeNAS?

D

dlavigne

Now, I just need to figure out how to give domain users access to the resource and have them prompted for credentials. Is this something I need to configure on AD DS or in FreeNAS?

On the AD side.

Status
Not open for further replies.