Need another backup plan after Synology failure Part 1

Dirk

Patron
I'm going to do this in two parts/questions in order to keep my questions separate to make it more understandable for me and others.

The Synology never worked well for Rsync backups. Net speed Freenas to Synology was ~7MB Not manageable on terabytes of data. A great deal of testing and research revealed that Synalogys' implementation is <= to poo. I tried various protocols but never got over 22MB. Testing on Win 10 in and out of Freenas could hit 100MB+. There are hundreds of forum messages everywhere on the subject.

I decided to bail on it and looked into Qnap, but same thing. The idea being that something small like that I could grab and run, or throw into my fireproof safe when not in use.

So, given the desire to be small/portable and use rsync what are your suggestions? I don't HAVE to do rsync, but I've got it working and automated. I am receptive though to going in another direction.

This question is solely about my data (media/ bulk amount of files with no needed configuration backup). Second question later will be about Freenas/jail best backup practices.

Thank you all for your help over these years!
Stay safe.

You can use almost literally any old PC as a backup machine and its better than a toaster guaranteed. Consider getting a big fat USB disk and set it up as a single disk ZFS right to your freenas machine, I do this as a backup to the backup and its working great. Then just rsync locally and if poop hits the fan you can just grab it and go.

Dirk

Patron
Thanks John.

I've spent about 20 hours now trying to get Resilio working between a Freenas jail and the Synology. Also too much work and many problems. The Synology has a shucked 8TB drive in it from an EasyStore. The Synology is doing nothing else (the idea was that if I wanted to move it off site to say a friends house it could be done where as a direct connected USB could not be).

Are you suggesting (others feel free to jump in here) That I fall back on just the grab and go issue and put the drive back in the case and hook up to the main freenass box?

if you look at my sig the previous server was powered down but has not been re-tasked. With it having 6 2tb drives it at present could handle the volume, but could also receive the 8 TB drive (and maybe another in the future for a mirror. The case is a Node 304 so maybe doable for a grab and run, but not able to be thrown in a safe when noit in use.

I'm throwing this all out so that you and others can ponder solutions given the options I have on hand.

Again, Thanks

Bear with me here. I think even an old Windows laptop with a USB3 disk connected to it formatted in NTFS and using a ROBOCOPY script across a mounted network drive is still better than a toaster, IMO. Then the disk is mountable anywhere essentially.

Also easily done with a Mac or Linux.

ChrisRJ

Wizard
As the saying goes: Backup is never the problem, restore is. In that light the simplest solution is often the one that works most reliably.

My backup comprises a secondary FreeNAS box at home, encrypted upload to OneDrive via FreeNAS cloud sync, and bare SATA drives via a USB dock. The latter is first used to copy the files to disk 1. Disk 1 is then replicated via the dock to disk 2, which is stored in a safe location outside the house.

Dirk

Patron
As the saying goes: Backup is never the problem, restore is. In that light the simplest solution is often the one that works most reliably.

My backup comprises a secondary FreeNAS box at home, encrypted upload to OneDrive via FreeNAS cloud sync, and bare SATA drives via a USB dock. The latter is first used to copy the files to disk 1. Disk 1 is then replicated via the dock to disk 2, which is stored in a safe location outside the house.

Thanks Chris. I assume the dock is a single drive? If that's the case how is the replication handled? Drive 1 to freenas after backup and then replace drive? Rinse lather repeat!

ChrisRJ

Wizard

Dirk

Patron
Thanks, that's what I was wondering. I have a couple docks but are single disk.

ddaenen1

Patron
I had a working rsync backup between FreeNAS and Synology with Hyper Backup previously. That worked quite ok but i did had some problems with the hash mismatch after sometime. The backup did keep on working though. Since i did a new reinstall due to hardware change, i did not set this up again as the process is cumbersome and i just wanted specific TrueNAS shares to be copied (or synced) to a specified Synology share so i am trying to figure out a new way. The only thing i would need is a scheduled sync between the TrueNAS share and a Synology share. I also tried Resilio but again, too much of a hassle. I tried numerous of setups with Hyper Backup, even with mounting the TrueNAS share in the Synology but again, did not find a feasible solution. It is kind of hard to believe that backing up a NAS would be so difficult.

Dirk

Patron
I tried Resilio as well. Never got it to work. I got Rsync working after giving up. I followed directions to copy an SSH key from Truenas to the Synology into the home directory of a user of the same name. (truenas rsync user, Synology rsync user) . Never worked. So, just for the heck of it I crated the key on Synology and copied it to Truenas users home directory just reversed te process) and it's been working since this thread was started.
I followed a guide I found that you might be able to fid by doing some Google on that info. I think it may have been on the Synology forums.