NAS configuration for SOHO, hybrid, L2ARC? Model solution?

pavelkoudela

Cadet
Hello my dear fellows, we decided to implement, after years, to implement some NAS at our department. I decided for this configuration:
Server: SuperMicro AS 2014S-TR
CPU: AMD Epyc 7252
RAM: 64 GB DDR4 ECC
Boot discs: 2x Samsung 870 EVO, 2,5", 250 GB v zrcadle
Pool discs: 4x 12 TB HGST HDD in two mirror vdev
NIC: Intel X710-DA2 10Gbe
We have a mix of file sizes, but mostly small files, I think 80%. Not video files, a small number of photos, and when, not many operations with these. The NAS will be at the regime of Home Folders in AD services (one data set), and another for Share space for everyone - of course, SMB will be using, and we are deploying Windows. To Home Folders will be backup a user workstations according to the schedule for the uniform load. During work time, I think the moderate traffic will be to NAS at Home Share same as at Share space. At the server room, there will be NAS, are two SFP+ ports with 10 Gbe connectivity at switch. I am going to plan to connect NAS and switch through this port, BUT the other ports of the switch are 1Gbe metallic (RJ45) for user workstations.
MY QUESTION: Please would you recommend what can I add to the configuration or set in TrueNAS for maximum usage of 10 Gbe connection from NAS and 1 Gbe to the user?
I read a lot about ARC and L2ARC, SLOG, I confess I don't understand well what will be useful for us. I would like, if I will copy the files and my colleague also, we will using the full bandwidth of 1Gbe link from our workstation and do not restrict by a "slow" HDD. I don't find any model solution for some cases of use.
Please,
more RAM?
include L2ARC vdev?
include SLOG vdev?
include Metadata vdev?
Thanks in advance a lot of

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
more RAM?
As much as you can afford is always the right answer for TrueNAS. 64GB is a reasonable starting point.

include L2ARC vdev?
include SLOG vdev?
Unlikely you'll benefit from those (at least to begin with... although for what you stated, SLOG will never be needed). arc_summary will tell you if L2ARC may help once you're running for a while and can be easily added/removed later accordingly.

include Metadata vdev?
It can be helpful if your pool will serve large numbers of small files/directories and directory listing is something that impacts performance for your users/applications.

NugentS

MVP
As @sretalla says. Try first without about any of these extra vdevs. After running for a few weeks check your arc hit rate. If > 90% then (again) don't worry about L2ARC and special vdevs

Come back to us in a couple of weeks with what you think, and we can maybe make suggestions based on what you have found and experienced

I assume you are booting from the two rear mounted 2.5" slots rather than wasting the M.2 sockets on boot disks

pavelkoudela

Cadet
Thanks to both of you. Ok, I understand, take some statistical data from usage and then maybe add the features. I will be back :D

I assume you are booting from the two rear mounted 2.5" slots rather than wasting the M.2 sockets on boot disks
Yes, I add to the configuration the rear drive bay (optional part), for boot drives. M.2 sockets I have reserved for some "cache" vdev, of course.

Ok, I buy the 10Gbe NIC for more usage in the future. I know that now my 2 devs multiply speed in some cases. Maybe could be useful to change to 3 mirror vdevs with 8TB HDD, but the half of storage it would use. I would like have more free bays, may for a separate fast pool from SSDs. Then HDD pool for archive data with small traffic.