NAS based on Intel DN2800MT

Status
Not open for further replies.

MartinT

Dabbler
I just built my first NAS box for home use. The build is similar to this one. It is tweaked towards energy efficiency and was not overly expensive. It consumes around 20W idle in total (excl. drives, incl. PSU), which I think is quite good. I suppose that the PSU is quite inefficient at these low loads (<5% of max rated). There is a discussion here that a new kernel can switch off the graphics part and save another 3W. Another great overview is posted here. Maybe a future FreeNAS version will incorporate this.

Parts

1 x Fractal Design Array R2 Mini ITX NAS Case w/ 300W SFX PSU
1 x Intel DN2800MT
2 x 4GB Kingston ValueRAM DDR3-1066
2 x Delock MiniPCIe I/O PCIe full size 2 x SATA 6 Gb/s
1 x SYBA SY-PEX40040 SATA III 1 Internal, 1 External 6Gbps Ports
1 x takeMS USB drive, USA version ;) (pdf link)

Comments

Total cost was at around €350.

The cards and the mainboard give a total of 7 SATA ports and 1 eSATA port.

8GB RAM is supported and works well (pdf link). I suppose 16GB would also work.

The only issue is the non-ATX power connector of the mainboard. But there is a simple solution for this.

The PCIe full card fits well in the half slot of the board. I used two rubber bands to hold it in its place.

Mods

The PSU fan is considerably noisy. It is rated at 0.23A@12V (2.76W). I changed it with a SILENX Ixtrema Pro fan, which is completely silent and uses around 2W less. The PSU is rated for 300W, so I figured that less airflow wouldn't hurt if it runs at 20W most of the time.

[To do] Change system fan to this one.

[To do] Add HD44780 display.

Tests

Two old 250GB drives in ZFS stripe mode give the following results:
Code:
dd if=/dev/zero of=/mnt/Old/ddfile bs=2048k count=5000
10485760000 bytes transferred in 56.165008 secs (186695603 bytes/sec)
10485760000 bytes transferred in 56.814647 secs (184560858 bytes/sec)

dd if=/mnt/Old/ddfile of=/dev/null bs=2048k count=5000
10485760000 bytes transferred in 49.413047 secs (212206302 bytes/sec)
10485760000 bytes transferred in 48.807493 secs (214839144 bytes/sec)

I will test more when I get new drives. System specs for now:

attachment.php

CPU scaling seems to work well:
Code:
# sysctl dev.cpu.0.freq
dev.cpu.0.freq: 498
# sysctl dev.cpu.0.freq
dev.cpu.0.freq: 199
# sysctl dev.cpu.0.freq
dev.cpu.0.freq: 1862
# sysctl dev.cpu.0.freq
dev.cpu.0.freq: 1330
# sysctl dev.cpu.0.freq
dev.cpu.0.freq: 931
# sysctl dev.cpu.0.freq
dev.cpu.0.freq: 698
# sysctl dev.cpu.0.freq
dev.cpu.0.freq: 598

Available frequencies are:
Code:
# sysctl dev.cpu.0.freq_levels
dev.cpu.0.freq_levels: 1862/2000 1629/1750 1596/1650 1396/1443 1330/1300 1163/1137 1064/950 931/831 798/600 698/525 598/450 498/375 399/300 299/225 199/150 99/75

The 3 SATA cards are based on the Asmedia ASM1061 controller, which uses PCI Express 2.0 x1. This should give 250 MB/s per port. However, the NM10 chipset apparently only supports PCIe 1.0 speeds, eventhough Intel claims sth else. This is confirmed by "lspci -vvv", which shows a speed of 2.5GT/s. In addition, CPU and chipset are only conncted by two DMI lanes, which means 500 MB/s in each direction.
Code:
LnkCap:Port #0, Speed 5GT/s, Width x1, ASPM L0s L1, Latency L0 <512ns, L1 <64us
LnkSta:Speed 2.5GT/s, Width x1, TrErr- Train- SlotClk+ DLActive- BWMgmt- ABWMgmt-
LnkCtl2: Target Link Speed: 5GT/s, EnterCompliance- SpeedDis-, Selectable De-emphasis: -6dB

b1ghen

Contributor
My thoughts:

I would try to find a motherboard that has more onboard SATA to begin with so you don't need all those extra cards. Too many different components for what should essentially be a simple build, many people out there are using an Array chassis with 6 disks on Atom based boards without going to the hassle of having 3 extra cards. Get something with preferably 6 onboard SATA, if not at least 4 and then add the rest with one single PCI-E card.
The good thing about going with an Intel motherboard though is that you get an onboard Intel NIC.

It also says 4GB maximum for the board but I heard people using 8GB on Atom boards without it being supported but that is not a guarantee.

If you get those extra SATA cards after all you need to make sure they are compatible with FreeNas/FreeBSD, I am not familiar with the ones you are mentioning. Same thing goes for the motherboard, it is brand spanking new so might not be compatible yet. Just saying.

I've had no problems with the 4k sectors using Seagata Barracuda Green drives at least. And anyway with this hardware you said yourself power consumption is key, if performance was key you wouldn't use an Atom to begin with.

MartinT

Dabbler
Thanks! That's exactly the point that still worries me. I wasn't able to confirm that the cards work with FreeNAS. So I would either have to bite the bullet and try myself or go for another board as you have suggested. What I like about the N2800 is the low power consumption (6.5W TDP vs. 13W TDP for the D525).

And thanks for your feedback regarding the drives. If 4k sectors don't matter, I could just go for the cheapest energy efficient drive.

Edit:
The controller on the MiniPCIe cards is a Asmedia ASM1061. This one should work on FreeBSD. Edit2: Confirmed to work. Uses around 1W.
The ASRock card uses a Marvell 88SE9120. It is listed here, but according to this thread it doesn't seem to be supported. It is really cheap though. I think I will just go ahead and try. Edit2: Confirmed to work. Uses around 3W. I have been sending it back to get the SYBA card with another Asmedia controller.

G

gcooper

Hi! Could you please execute the following commands in a terminal on the machine:

Code:
$ sysctl hw.physmem
$ dmidecode | grep -A 3 'Base Board Information'

I'm curious as to whether or not the board is the real deal because the Intel datasheet has the motherboard pegged at 4GB DDR3 1033 max, and generally speaking the Intel specs are the golden source of truth.

MartinT

Dabbler
Sure, here we go:
Code:
[root@freenas] ~# sysctl hw.physmem
hw.physmem: 8561639424
[root@freenas] ~# dmidecode | grep -A 3 'Base Board Information'
Base Board Information
        Manufacturer: Intel Corporation
        Product Name: DN2800MT
        Version: AAG23738-600

However, I think that they also lie about the "PCIe x1 Gen 2.x" on the spec sheet. The NM10 chipset only seems to support PCIe 1.0 speeds, as shown in my first port (LnkSta = link status).

Edit: I also added the system specs image at the first post.

mozso

Dabbler
Hi MartinT

Couple of weeks ago, I myself come up with a similar setup for my home NAS, needed a 4 bay case and a power efficient board. Just got my hand on the board but don't know if I made the right choice, as the lack of on-board ATX connector has slipped my attention, as reading through specs, saw that has both internal and external power supply, and did not go further. I know, don't say anything, darn stupid of me. My case is a CFI A-7879 (4x 3.5" NAS, 1x 2.5", Hot-Plug, 1x PCI, 200W), the power supply having a 20/24 pin connector and a 4 pin one. My problem is not the motherboard powering up with an external power supply, but the hard drives. I've read the paperclip method also. Can you make a few comments regarding this or better(if it's not much for asking) a few photos. Thanks very much

MartinT

Dabbler
Hi MartinT

Couple of weeks ago, I myself come up with a similar setup for my home NAS, needed a 4 bay case and a power efficient board. Just got my hand on the board but don't know if I made the right choice, as the lack of on-board ATX connector has slipped my attention, as reading through specs, saw that has both internal and external power supply, and did not go further. I know, don't say anything, darn stupid of me. My case is a CFI A-7879 (4x 3.5" NAS, 1x 2.5", Hot-Plug, 1x PCI, 200W), the power supply having a 20/24 pin connector and a 4 pin one. My problem is not the motherboard powering up with an external power supply, but the hard drives. I've read the paperclip method also. Can you make a few comments regarding this or better(if it's not much for asking) a few photos. Thanks very much

I'm not too sure if I got that right: You are using both an internal and an external power supply? I'm only using the internal PSU. If yours has an 20/24 pin connector, then you can use that one with the board. The 4 pin connector with the little hook fits perfectly on the 2 pin connector of the board. But you need to use the paper clip to switch on the PSU.

mozso

Dabbler
I'm not too sure if I got that right: You are using both an internal and an external power supply? I'm only using the internal PSU. If yours has an 20/24 pin connector, then you can use that one with the board. The 4 pin connector with the little hook fits perfectly on the 2 pin connector of the board. But you need to use the paper clip to switch on the PSU.
Essentially you have made my question along side with the answer. I'm not using an external, just considering it, but haven't powered it up yet, cause don't know how using the internal power supply of the case. Looking at your case, as I understood, you have the same power connectors as I have. This made me confused, because haven't found anything on the web regarding a 4 pin connected to a 2 pin connector. If understand right from the wires of the 4 pin connector, they are 2 grounding cables(labeled black) and 2 power cables(labeled yellow). So I hook into the 2 pin connector a black and yellow cable or what? This is what you did?

MartinT

Dabbler
Essentially you have made my question along side with the answer. I'm not using an external, just considering it, but haven't powered it up yet, cause don't know how using the internal power supply of the case. Looking at your case, as I understood, you have the same power connectors as I have. This made me confused, because haven't found anything on the web regarding a 4 pin connected to a 2 pin connector. If understand right from the wires of the 4 pin connector, they are 2 grounding cables(labeled black) and 2 power cables(labeled yellow). So I hook into the 2 pin connector a black and yellow cable or what? This is what you did?

Right, that's what I did. The board needs 12V input (yellow=12V, black=ground). The 4 pin connector has 2 x yellow and 2 x black. The plastic pins are all shaped differently so there is nothing you can do wrong. There is only one way to fit the cable in the connectors. Have a look at the picture of the board. See the one on the very left? One pin is square and the other is half-rounded. Now, your 4 pin connector looks like this. Fits perfectly!

mozso

Dabbler
Yes, these were my thoughts also, just wasn't sure, needed a confirmation. Thank you very much.

mozso

Dabbler
Update : I've given a try, with no luck. With the paperclip method turned on the PSU, connected the PSU to the 2 pin connector on the board and pluged it in. I have 4 Gb of ram installed and a KingSpec SATA 16GB Mini PCI-e SSD, a keyboard through USB and a 17" monitor on the vga port. The PSU fan starts(so it's on), on the motherboard a small yellow led turns on, but have no picture on the monitor. I'm doing something wrong here?

MartinT

Dabbler
Strange... The mainboard seems to have power since the LED lights up. Don't know if that has anything to say, but are you sure the LED is yellow? Mine is green, maybe that's some error indicator?

Also, I never tried the VGA port. Can you test the HDMI output? There is an option in the BIOS to turn off the VGA port, however the port is enabled by default. You could however try to set the yellow jumper to the other setting to boot into the BIOS with failsave settings.

Edit: I think the LED is the Standby Power Indicator LED. Did you switch on the mainboard? You need to press the power button from your case to turn on the mainboard.

mozso

Dabbler
Strange... The mainboard seems to have power since the LED lights up. Don't know if that has anything to say, but are you sure the LED is yellow? Mine is green, maybe that's some error indicator?

Also, I never tried the VGA port. Can you test the HDMI output? There is an option in the BIOS to turn off the VGA port, however the port is enabled by default. You could however try to set the yellow jumper to the other setting to boot into the BIOS with failsave settings.

Edit: I think the LED is the Standby Power Indicator LED. Did you switch on the mainboard? You need to press the power button from your case to turn on the mainboard.

It's green, and touche. Forgot to plug in the power switch. Now it's working :)). Very happy

MartinT

Dabbler
Great! BTW the case you are using looks pretty good. If you come around to test the overall power consumption, I would be very interested!

mozso

Dabbler
Great! BTW the case you are using looks pretty good. If you come around to test the overall power consumption, I would be very interested!

As soon as it's on, I'll come back with figures. My second main concern now is, from where going to run the OS. One reason I choose this motherboard, beside the consumption, is the multitude pcie slots, specially the mini pcie. So I figured to run the OS from this : http://www.ebay.com/itm/KingSpec-16GB-Mini-PCI-e-SATA-SSD-KSD-SMP-1-016MJ-NEW-/330548031787. Haven't checked compatibility with the freenas, hope to work, looking for an elegant solution, not a hanging usb stick from behind. If not successful, then go for the usb stick or something else, will see. For the other two sata bays, I purchased a PCIe Delock 2xSata II Raid controller. The only empty slot is the half mini pcie

MartinT

Dabbler
Well, I'm not an expert for this. That Mini PCI SSD will probably work. However, you will waste a lot of space on the SSD (FreeNAS only needs 2 GB and the rest is lost). I used this thing and plugged it in a free internal USB header on the board. Paid 5€ for it. There are two free headers on the DN2800MT. I think speed doesn't really matter for FreeNAS.

Edit: If you get the SSD and a USB stick, you could use the SSD as an additional drive for your NAS. I was thinking about something similar. I still have an old SSD lying around, which I plan to use for a frequent snapshot / rsync of my local files. I haven't set it up yet, though.

mozso

Dabbler
Well, I'm not an expert for this. That Mini PCI SSD will probably work. However, you will waste a lot of space on the SSD (FreeNAS only needs 2 GB and the rest is lost). I used this thing and plugged it in a free internal USB header on the board. Paid 5€ for it.

It's 16Gb because haven't found smaller, easily anyway not. I know it's a waste of space

mozso

Dabbler
So the mini pcie kingspec ssd card it's not even recognized by the bios, a huge disappointment. Actually came across something that intel is considering this slot only as a wireless expansion slot(don't know if true, seen the contrary too, and has more sens). Also, these cards should be only used in notebooks by other sources. Funny thing is that on the producer site the card was tested on an Intel Atom N270 1.6GHz,DDR2 333 1GB×1pcs,i945GME+ICH7 chipset.

The InLine, USB 2.0 card reader internal is very appealing, but can't find it in my home country, Romania. Probably will go for now on an usb stick to install freenas

MartinT

Dabbler
Sorry to hear that. The OP of this thread somehow put a usb stick on the internal header. I don't know how it's done, but maybe that is something for you.

Edit: Actually, the drives that I connected to the Mini PCIe cards aren't recognized by the BIOS either. They show up in FreeNAS though. Maybe you could try that first?

Status
Not open for further replies.