My True NAS capacity is experiencing self-growth, why is this happening and can someone help me?!!!!

waiiiiii

Cadet
我的 True NAS 安装在 VMware vSphere 平台上,并挂载了来自 VMware vSAN 存储池的 20TB 磁盘。我已经将磁盘作为 iSCSI 目标从 True NAS 共享到另一个带有 ESXi 服务器的 VMware vSphere 平台(是的,我有两个不同版本的 VMware 平台)。奇怪的是,我注意到True NAS的容量在部署的VMware平台上不断增加,尽管NAS上有一些旧数据已经断开共享,没有设备连接到它。True NAS 并没有写入任何新的数据,但存储在 vSAN 磁盘上不断扩展。谁能解释为什么会这样?

waiiiiii

Cadet
My True NAS is installed on the VMware vSphere platform and is mounted with a 20TB disk from the VMware vSAN storage pool. I have shared the disk as an iSCSI target from True NAS to another VMware vSphere platform with ESXi servers (yes, I have two VMware platforms with different versions). Strangely, I noticed that the capacity of True NAS is continuously increasing on the deployed VMware platform, even though there is some old data on the NAS that has been disconnected from sharing and no devices are connected to it. True NAS has not written any new data, but the storage is constantly expanding on the vSAN disk. Can anyone explain why this is happening?

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
Hello!

So that I understand, you have installed TrueNAS as a VM, using an existing VMware vSAN solution as the backing storage? I assume you have created a disk for TrueNAS on vSAN as a thin disk, and this is the growth you are discussing (the TrueNAS VMDK object on vSAN). This is expected as ZFS is a "copy on write" filesystem, and will write into what it believes is free space in the VMDK (new LBAs) - which VMware will then have to write as new chunks to vSAN. Eventually it will grow to the full size assigned.

This virtualization is not a recommended or supported deployment for TrueNAS, as you are losing out on many of the benefits of the ZFS filesystem and protection. Much like vSAN expects to run on top of the disks directly, so does TrueNAS - if you were using this only to gain familiarity with the UI and the features, you may do this, but from your description of 20TB of data this is a "production" server with actual valuable data on it. The iSCSI sharing adds another level of challenge and complexity to this, as a vSAN outage on your "first" cluster of servers could result in your "second" cluster being down as the TrueNAS VM would be unavailable.

Deploying dedicated hardware for TrueNAS would be the recommended path forward. One of your existing vSAN compatible servers may be a good starting point for this; if you are looking for a full HA solution, iXsystems has appliances designed for high-uptime environments like VMware iSCSI.

(Google Translate follows)

---

你好!

据我了解,您已将 TrueNAS 安装为虚拟机,并使用现有的 VMware vSAN 解决方案作为后备存储? 我假设您已经在 vSAN 上为 TrueNAS 创建了一个磁盘作为精简磁盘,这就是您正在讨论的增长(vSAN 上的 TrueNAS VMDK 对象)。 这是预期的,因为 ZFS 是一个“写时复制”文件系统,并且将写入它认为是 VMDK(新 LBA)中的可用空间 - 然后 VMware 必须将其作为新块写入 vSAN。 最终它将增长到指定的完整大小。

这种虚拟化不是 TrueNAS 推荐或支持的部署,因为您正在失去 ZFS 文件系统和保护的许多好处。 就像 vSAN 希望直接在磁盘上运行一样,TrueNAS 也是如此——如果您使用它只是为了熟悉 UI 和功能,您可以这样做,但从您对 20TB 数据的描述来看,这是一个“ 生产”服务器,上面有实际有价值的数据。 iSCSI 共享为此增加了另一层挑战和复杂性,因为“第一个”服务器集群上的 vSAN 中断可能会导致“第二个”集群停机,因为 TrueNAS VM 将不可用。

为 TrueNAS 部署专用硬件将是推荐的前进路径。 您现有的 vSAN 兼容服务器之一可能是一个很好的起点; 如果您正在寻找完整的 HA 解决方案,iXsystems 拥有专为 VMware iSCSI 等高正常运行时间环境设计的设备。