BUILD My Socket 2011v3 Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

Glorious1

Guru
Update: at some point, the serial for one of the drives started appearing. Then I decided to destroy my main pool so I could reconfigure everything and test whether I could successfully restore. Also I now have only 4 drives on the card and the rest on the motherboard. Somewhere in that process, all the serials appeared, including all the drives on the card. Now I'm afraid if I reboot they'll disappear again!

Glorious1

Guru
Sure enough, I rebooted and now some serial numbers show and others don't. Bug #7262

ian351c

Patron
Looks like this thread might have gotten a little off track the last couple weeks... ;)

Here's the latest on my build:

All the jails are up and running. I've moved all the data over from my old NAS and have shut down all the services there. I've also taken the opportunity to "simplify" my sharing schemes. On the old NAS, the entire volume was shared via both NFS and CIFS. I retained an old school CIFS config where everything relied on UNIX permissions (so no ACLs). It worked, but it was clunky. I also had AFP turned on for Time Machine. This has proven to be somewhat limiting, especially now that 9.3 relies more on ACLs and extended attributes than it used to, at least for CIFS (which is more of a function of Samba than FreeNAS, but to-may-to, to-mah-to). The idea now is to have a separate dataset for each NAS Use Case (file sharing, VMPro VMWare backups, Time Machine, a scratch folder and Jails). This allows me to set permissions and ACL types separately, as well as set quotas for the various datasets.

The next step is to figure out a snapshot and backup policy. I had originally started out my old NAS with just a single volume and no datasets. This proved very limiting as far a snapshots went, and resulted in the volume filing up very quickly because even though the "file share" portion of the volume changed very little, the backups and scratch areas changed a lot, making snapshots very large. Once I figured this out, I created three child datasets containing various file shares and left everything else in the base volume. The datasets got snapshotted (once an hour, kept for two weeks and once a week, kept for 5 years) while the volume itself did not (most of what wasn't in a dataset were backups and scratch files). This is working rather well so far, but having six different snapshot policies is kind of a pain (too far in the other direction from "everything in one volume). This would become 8 snapshot tasks, now that I'm running jails. Which is a lot, especially if I want to replicate them. So, combining the snapshot policy I like with the dataset scheme from the paragraph above should give me the best of both worlds (I hope).

That takes care of snapshots, but what about backups? I still haven't decided exactly what I want to do here. What I'm leaning towards is a manual backup scheme using rsync. Since my backup device will be my old NAS, I don't want to leave it running 24/7 just so it can receive replication data from my main NAS. There's no real need to replicate every snapshot either. The hourly snapshots are more to recover from "oops" moments rather than recovering from a meltdown of the entire NAS. I would want to keep just the "long term" snapshots. I also need to make sure that, if I'm doing snapshots (as opposed to say, rsync) that I don't skip any snapshots since incremental snapshots require a complete chain of historical snapshots on the receiving device. tl;dr: Snapshots have a lot of constraints...

Another way to approach this would be to use rsync and do local snapshots on the backup device. This would be much more flexible as far as timing the backups goes. However, there could be filesystem level issues. I found this out when trying to rsync from my old NAS to the new one. I used the rsync service and exported my entire volume from the old NAS. I found that some files wouldn't come over (not a permissions issue as I was doing this as root), others would have their filenames garbled (which was very odd) and other times I ended up with entire directories that had screwy permissions on the new NAS (as in: no access for root! I ended up having to nuke the ACLs on these files and folders). Of course, I was transferring from Freeness 9.2.8 to 9.3 and there was probably all kinds of weirdness that took place over the last 4 years on my old NAS (which had started life running FreeNAS 8.x). Assuming I can iron out or work around any rsync issues, this will be my preferred method for backup: once a month turn on the backup NAS, run an rsync script, run a scrub, then turn it off until next month.

ian351c

Patron
A note on email relaying...

I have several applications (FreeNAS being one of them) that have the ability to send me email alerts. Since I don't have (or want to have) my own dedicated email server for a domain, I need a way to relay email from these internal applications out to one of my email addresses hosted at a provider (gmail, yahoo, etc.). Also, since not all of these applications have the ability to authenticate themselves, I can't just set them all up to use a gmail or yahoo account. What I've done in the past is to set up postfix on a Linux host and allow all my internal applications to forward through there via a gmail account. Since there are a lot of howtos for this, it's relatively easy (I don't have to learn all this ins and outs of configuring postfix, ssl and sasl). On FreeBSD, it's definitely NOT easy. The howtos are much thinner and generally much older. I don't really want to figure out the intricacies of main.cf and what has changed in the last 6-8 years or the differences between ssl on FreeBSD vs Linux. On top of all that, there are no packages for postfix that have sasl built in, so I would have to compile my own. For me, that's a deal breaker, since I want to simplify my life with FreeNAS, not complicate it. Luckily, the folks at OpenBSD have a great solution: OpenSMTP. This is a very simple SMTP daemon that is super easy to configure (well, mostly: they keep the instructions for building an open relay very secret, though it's easy to figure out even if it's not spelled out in the examples). I heartily recommend OpenSMTP for anyone looking to do email on a platform that supports it for a use case such as mine.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I literally dropped in some gmail credentials into my FreeNAS WebGUI page and they worked. Any reason you don't go for the simple approach and provide FreeNAS with the appropriate email settings?

ian351c

Patron
Musta been a late night last night because I don't remember those fields... So yeah, I would imagine that should work then. :smile: I do have one or two services that don't support SMTP AUTH and or TLS though, so it still comes in handy.

snicke

Explorer
I'd add that, for FreeNAS, the boot ROM seems to do more harm than good, so staying away from it is a good idea.
Why? What kind of harm?

If I want to boot from a drive that is attached to the M1015-card in IT mode don't I have to flash the boot ROM then or else I cannot boot?

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
Why? What kind of harm?

If I want to boot from a drive that is attached to the M1015-card in IT mode don't I have to flash the boot ROM then or else I cannot boot?
If you need help with booting from an HBA, you are going to get more help asking that question in a new thread, rather than
posting on a thread that is over a year old.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Why? What kind of harm?

This information is a bit out of date. The P16 boot ROM had a bug that did not properly display attached drives in the card's config menu. It also seemed to cause random issues when different controllers (mostly a 2008 and a 2308) had boot ROMs installed in the same system.

The P20 boot ROM should be working fine. You'd only need it to boot from the card or to configure staggered spinup or to be able to check for attached drives outside the OS.

snicke

Explorer
The P20 boot ROM should be working fine. You'd only need it to boot from the card or to configure staggered spinup or to be able to check for attached drives outside the OS.
Thanks. Maybe I misunderstand you so I try to be extra clear:
If I attach an SSD to the M1015-card and want to use that SSD to boot FreeNAS, do I have to flash the mptsas2.rom in this case or should I just skip it?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Status
Not open for further replies.