My planned FreeNAS/Corral setup, suggestion and or advice are welcome (First time user)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beng

Cadet
Hardware:
Mobo: Fujitsu D3417-B MB C236-AMT (Intel,1151,DDR4,Mikro-ATX)
CPU: Intel G3900 Celeron
Memory: 8 Gb ECC
PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 10 300W
Case: Fractal Design Arc Midi R2
Additional 4 Port SATA Controller: DeLock PCIe (4x) Marvell chipset 88SE9230

Boot:
Fast 32 GB USB 3.0 Stick (Transcend)

Disk (Internal PCIe MVMe controller):
1X Intel P600 M2 PCIe 128 G

Disks (Internal SATA Controller):
3X WD RED 4TB
1X SSD (120 GB)
1x SSD (32 GB)

Disk (External SATA controller):
4X Samsung Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ

The system will be running SABnbzd, Sonarr and Plex Media Server. (Plex server does not need to transcode since i am using RPI/Kodi for playback).

darkwarrior

Patron
Hi there,

I can't comment on everything, but that Delock Pci-e addon card seems that just a source of issues.
Try to run a research on that matter ...

I would ditch it and replace it with an LSI/IBM HBA any day.
Look in my sig for the Hardware recommendations link

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Read the hardware thread and start over. Not a single item you choose is something that we would suggest.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Beng

Cadet
After reading some of the hardware thread, guess I am getting it, the recommended hardware is good but expensive. So i am trying affordable hardware. I am a home user after all. Total cost of mine (excluding the NAS drives) is $500. However:

- I am using a Server Board designed for 24/7 operation
- I am using the minimal required 8 GB of ECC ram, guaranteed for that motherboard.
- The $41 Celeron does has two cores and supports VT-x with EPT. It has half the cpu benchmark of a 4x more expensive i5.
- The Marvell 88SE9230 card does have some issues (I found hotswap problems related to outdated drivers, I am hoping there are better drivers now), any under $60 alternative suggestions are welcome.

Idle power usage, excluding drives is around 9 Watt. I like that.
(The WD red drives will at 10 Watt to that and the 5 Spinpoints 25)

44 Watt idle power consumption, Calculated peek power consumption at 250 Watt, the bronze label PSU can do 264.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
After reading some of the hardware thread, guess I am getting it, the recommended hardware is good but expensive. So i am trying affordable hardware. I am a home user after all. Total cost of mine (excluding the NAS drives) is $500. However:

- I am using a Server Board designed for 24/7 operation
- I am using the minimal required 8 GB of ECC ram, guaranteed for that motherboard.
- The $41 Celeron does has two cores and supports VT-x with EPT. It has half the cpu benchmark of a 4x more expensive i5.
- The Marvell 88SE9230 card does have some issues (I found hotswap problems related to outdated drivers, I am hoping there are better drivers now), any under $60 alternative suggestions are welcome.

Idle power usage, excluding drives is around 9 Watt. I like that.
(The WD red drives will at 10 Watt to that and the 5 Spinpoints 25)

44 Watt idle power consumption, Calculated peek power consumption at 250 Watt, the bronze label PSU can do 264.
The Celeron processor is fine and so is the memory. I would just like to see you pick a better motherboard and don't use the sata expander. Just use the sata ports on the motherboard. Power usage is going to all be the same unless you go with an arm system. My e3-1230 xeon with 16GB memory and 6 wd reds used 48watt's at idle. Ignore power usage it's a silly number to use to build a system

Beng

Cadet
First of all, I appreciate your advice, I am going to argue against it in order to quantify why that "other" board would be better. I assume a better board would be one from the hardware guide.

So far, I just found that this board just has the one Intel Nic (not two) and is lacking IPMI support over a dedicated LAN connection.

The server class Fujitsu board in my config does have an Intel C236 chipset and an Intel Nic (Intel I219LM) and comes at an very affordable $140.

Do I really need two NIC's and IPMI at home?

ps: If I change boards I would probably pick the ASRock RACK C236M WS (at $225), it has the M2 slot and 8xSATA-300

Last edited:

ph0ton

Cadet
The fujitsu d3417-b is a high quality 24/7 board and receives high praise for power efficiency and quality. It only has 6 sata ports, which seems like an odd decision, given the C236 chipset limit of 8.
http://forum.openmediavault.org/ind...wer-ZFS-NAS-based-on-Skylake-Fujitsu-D3417-B/
- 22 w with 3 x 4 TB wd reds spinning, <10 w when the disk are spun down.

Fujitsu customer sales support was very responsive (I asked when the kaby lake version would be available and got at response within a few hours). They release new BIOS versions with fixes quite often. Just make sure to get the b2 version, since it supports kaby lake, improving your selection of future CPU upgrades. Should be available sometime during April.

Electricity can be expensive in some parts of Europe and a 20W reduction in idle power usage can save you 55 euroes /yr, if your server is mostly idle like mine is (I am the sole user).

I don't think it's well known, which might be the reason for the brisk write off?

I suggest you also have a look at the Supermicro X11 boards; especially the X11SSH-F: 8 sata ports and M.2. It's expensive, though, expect same price as the Asrock.

For CPU I would take a Pentium G4560, although the performance pr. euro is slightly worse.

IPMI: Really nice, but I have mostly used it once during installs, but when the system is stable i don't use that often. On my latest build I used a seperate HDMI cable and a seperate keyboard instead which has served me just as well.

TheBigS

Cadet
@ph0ton: i have the same idea. i also would like to build a FreeNAS server with the G4560. did you know when the Fujitsu Mainboard D3417-B2 is avaiable?

Last edited by a moderator:

ph0ton

Cadet
Fujitsu says 04/2017 in their documentation, so I guess anytime soon. I have seen the B2 on multiple vendor sites, although they are all out of stock.

Peltsu

Cadet
I have been running Corral and now 11RC3 with D3417-B1 & i3-6100 for months without problems. If similar Fujitsu boards (although not exact same model) are trusted by KUKA on KRC4 and Siemens on WinCC PC, I will trust them too.

Sent from my SGP611 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.