My old setup need tweaking/upgrades

linlz

Cadet
Hello,
I've been running Truenas Core for a long time and it's been great.
But after reading up on guides and other useful information i can see that i have done some things wrong and might be able to get more performance.
First of i have read https://www.familybrown.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=fester112:hardware_general (Maybe someone can point me to something newer).
And from what i read there and else where i found out that i properly should not have a cache for example.
I will post my truenas setup and all the performace/stability fixes you can help me with will be much apreciated, since my head is almost spinning from all that reading.

Hardware Currently:
Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1245 V2
HP p822 hba with cache(i think 1gb) and battery
16gb non ecc ram
8x4tb nas HDD drives (excerpt for one that doesnt support TLER or any of the other.)
2x512gb SSD as cache
1xboot ssd

Software setup:
All 8 drives are in one raidz1 pool (Have email reporting and a cold spare laying around)
2xSSD as cache
No slog
TrueNAS-12.0-U8.1 (Update planned)

Planned hardware upgrades so far:
32gb ecc ram (max the motherboard supports)
Change the last drive to a nas drive to support TLER (Which will be changed once all backups/so on is done)
Extend with more drives with a SAN.

Ideas:
Create a new entirely ssd pool for VM's to use. (Worth it?)

My truenas core is connected to proxmox over iscsi. I mainly use the truenas for VM hosting, one of these is a plex vm for streaming.
The truenas services that are enabled are: iSCSI, NFS, SMART and SMB.

Please let me know if you need more information and thank you in advance.
I really hope some one can steer me in the right direction and hopefully help me learn faster and also without buying new wrong stuff.

One question i have is should i make a fusion pool instead? - Can this be done without losing data?
Should i have a metadata vdev in my pool?
Should i switch to truenas scale instead? (I have not researched this enough yet, and proberly for me to figure out)

Regards
linlz