my first FreeNAS server/i want to buy a used server for this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darkflame

Dabbler
I found a second hand 1u rack server for 100euro
this is what is in it.

1u supermicro
x7dbr-e motherboard
1x x5450 cpu (quad core 3.0ghz)
32gb ddr2 ecc fbdimm ram
hardware raid
2x 60gb ssd
2x 1Tb HDD
dvd rom

I want to modify it so I can put 3 or 4 WD RED 3TB in it remove the hardware raid and caching SSDs.
Is this a good choice?
Will I saturate the gigabit Ethernet in write speeds and will I be able to run some jails on it without to much trouble?
Using it as a media server maybe even hooking up a small camera system on it?

Last edited by a moderator:

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
32gb ddr2 ecc fbdimm ram
Ouch, that's a massive power hog. And it's going to bottleneck your system. Or rather, the FSB will.

I'd recommend getting rid of the old motherboard and replacing it with something newer.

Darkflame

Dabbler
im guessing its not perfect but can you explain a bit more. its for an enthousiast to tool around with and as a home server for the money is it worth paying 100Euro for

MrToddsFriends

Documentation Browser
Last edited:

Darkflame

Dabbler
OKay thanks for the input and th sound is totaly not the problem only the total cost of running is somthing i finaly calculated and now that it is up and running i am liking evrything exept the power use
is is drawing 250-280w of power that would be about +500euro a year cutting this to a quarter would save me literly a server in 3 years time. not that i am unhappy but i need to look for an equaly powerfull new setup that draws like 50w idle although i do not know how to find what i would need for this. my nas is on 24/7 but it is alot of its time idle and ther eis no easy poweroff/on setting that i know of i would love for a schedular where i can power it off after like 01.00 and it turns on automaticly at 12noon where i can manualy boot it on remote.

snaptec

Guru
Power off is something you wont like to do with a FreeNAS.
50w - is possible with newer Hardware. XeonD or e3 would fit this.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.