multiple raid 1 arrays

Status
Not open for further replies.

xy1971

Cadet
Hi all,
Let me start by saying I'm definitely a n00b, but absolutely love FreeNAS.
I have a RAID 1 array set up now for photos ,docs etc. is the raid controlled by the motherboard or by FreeNAS?
But my main question is, I want to set up 4 separate RAID 1 arrays (8 HDD's) is this possible?
Cheers
P.S. I'm using FreeNAS 8.0.4

Kimba

Dabbler
It is possible, but what you will have is simply a drive mirroring another drive.

I would do a RaidZ2 of 8 drives (6 drives with the possibility of losing 2 drives without crying) and set up 4 datasets. Doing this would get you what you are looking for. This approach is like dividing up 12 apples for 13 people -- easier to make applesauce to get the proportions correct.

paleoN

Wizard
I have a RAID 1 array set up now for photos ,docs etc. is the raid controlled by the motherboard or by FreeNAS?
What's your zpool configuration? What is your BIOS set to? You want FreeNAS to be handling the RAIDing.

But my main question is, I want to set up 4 separate RAID 1 arrays (8 HDD's) is this possible?
Quite possible. You would have 4 separate zpools each consisting of a single mirror.

However, like Kimba, I would be looking at doing raidz2 with datasets unless all your drives are vastly different sizes or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.