SOLVED Multi-user SMB sharing problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

raymond_ma

Cadet
I am trying to use FreeNAS as a file sharing system among different users, but it seems strange to me that when some user uploads a file, other users cannot see it. I tried this on both 11.2 beta3 and RC1, and the same result. Here is what I do.

1. Create a storage and a dataset in Windows ACL type, share it with SMB named dataset01
2. Set the owner of dataset01 to user01
3. Connect to my server from a Windows client as user01, create folder01, folder02, etc
4. For the shared root folder, give user02 Read & Execute permission, using windows explorer
5. For folder02, give user02 Full Control permission
6. Log off and then reconnect to FreeNAS server as user02, now I can see folder01 and folder02 with no problem
7. Since user02 has full control access to folder02, I can now create new sub_folder and user02.txt under folder02

Here is my problem that when I check attributes of either sub_folder or user02.txt, it only has permissions for user02, but NOT for user01. It is also proved when I connect with user01 and see nothing under folder02. I guess the permissions for user01 should inherit from its parent folder, or not? I tried the same procedure on a pure windows server with SMB, and it works like a charm.

Any suggestions or any other solutions to my multi-user file sharing scenario are welcome. Thanks.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
I am trying to use FreeNAS as a file sharing system among different users, but it seems strange to me that when some user uploads a file, other users cannot see it. I tried this on both 11.2 beta3 and RC1, and the same result. Here is what I do.

1. Create a storage and a dataset in Windows ACL type, share it with SMB named dataset01
2. Set the owner of dataset01 to user01
3. Connect to my server from a Windows client as user01, create folder01, folder02, etc
4. For the shared root folder, give user02 Read & Execute permission, using windows explorer
5. For folder02, give user02 Full Control permission
6. Log off and then reconnect to FreeNAS server as user02, now I can see folder01 and folder02 with no problem
7. Since user02 has full control access to folder02, I can now create new sub_folder and user02.txt under folder02

Here is my problem that when I check attributes of either sub_folder or user02.txt, it only has permissions for user02, but NOT for user01. It is also proved when I connect with user01 and see nothing under folder02. I guess the permissions for user01 should inherit from its parent folder, or not? I tried the same procedure on a pure windows server with SMB, and it works like a charm.

Any suggestions or any other solutions to my multi-user file sharing scenario are welcome. Thanks.

The ACL entry for user01 on folder02 is acutally (on the server-side) "owner@:full_set:fd:allow", when user02 creates a file under folder02 he becomes the owner of it and so the object that owner@ applies to changes to user02. If you want owner01 to have permissions always inherit in folder02, then you will need to grant him an explicit ACL entry (or use groups).

raymond_ma

Cadet
Thanks for your explication. Now it works as expected. I guess this is a common mistake for noobs like me. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.