Moving data to a new jail

Meya

Dabbler
For the past week I have been trying to get Nextcloud to work but I can't, I get a new error every time I try something or fix something. As a result, I have decided to move the existing data to a new Nextcloud jail. Since I am afraid of losing my data, my pool is in RAID 1 and I also have an external backup of the important folders.
1635128142927.png

As you can see, the pool named "ServerBackup" is the external drive that I use periodically to rsync new files from SharedVolume. My question is, will I be able to copy the files from ServerBackup to the new instance of nextcloud using rsync?

This is how my Storage looks:
1635128508524.png

My intention is to destroy nextcloud jail and create a new one. After that, copy the data from ServerBackup to the new nextcloud jail. Is this something easy to do? I was reading the TrueNAS guide but could not find anything about migrating data from external drive. Please, some advise is most welcomed!!

artlessknave

Wizard
why are you putting the data in the jail? jails are intended to be throwaway, with the data mounted from it's storage location. ideally, you want to mount both the app config location in the jail and all data to the storage location.

Meya

Dabbler
why are you putting the data in the jail? jails are intended to be throwaway, with the data mounted from it's storage location. ideally, you want to mount both the app config location in the jail and all data to the storage location.
Yes, that's my intention this time. Judging from the pictures, my understanding is that the data is not inside the nextcloud jail correct? The blacked out parts is the data I care about.

artlessknave

Wizard
looks that way, yes. if i am understanding correctly, you shouldnt need to copy anything from the "Serverbackup", just give the new jail mount points to "The blacked out" datasets
you would end up with something resembling
sharedvolume/BLACKOUT1 > sharedvolume/iocage/jails/newnextcloud/root/mnt/blackout1

Meya

Dabbler
you would end up with something resembling
sharedvolume/BLACKOUT1 > sharedvolume/iocage/jails/newnextcloud/root/mnt/blackout1
Ahh I see. I found this extremely detailed post that I want to try in this forum. What he does is create sub-datasets for the config, db, and the themes. The actual data is outside the jail which makes perfect sense. The reason why I'm asking is because as you can see, the nextcloud jail is over 100GiB and I'm assuming is because of all the versions that are in there plus backups (I used to update via the nextcloud GUI but this time I want to do it manually sinice I've read there are more benefits doing it this way).

artlessknave

Wizard
I'm not familiar with nextcloud specifically, but had a quick skim of that article and it looks like it has the right general idea.
it also looks like a ton of work.