SOLVED Moving data from one TrueNas to other fails

Lucas Rey

Contributor
Hello community, I'm trying to moving my data from one TrueNAS, to another TrueNAS where I have a bigger pool size.
Because I reorganized the datasets on new pool, I need to copy one directory at the time. Total data to move is 5TB in a pool of 24TB total.

To do that I'm using rsync (same issue with scp anyway). So copy from old pool to new pool via network:

Code:
rsync -avh /mnt/tank/share/UTILITY root@192.168.10.100:/mnt/tank/share/UTILITY

This will start copy, such directory is 90GB, but after a while it stops with the following error:

Code:
Connection to 192.168.10.100 closed by remote host.
rsync: [sender] write error: Broken pipe (32)
rsync error: error in socket IO (code 10) at io.c(848) [sender=3.2.7]
Any clue please?
Thank you
Lucas

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Are you using password or public key authentication? IIRC rsync will need to re-authenticate periodically so password authentication does not work for longer running jobs.

Lucas Rey

Contributor
Are you using password or public key authentication? IIRC rsync will need to re-authenticate periodically so password authentication does not work for longer running jobs.
Oh I'm using password... So basing on what you wrote I have to generate ssh key to rsync passwordless, right?

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Right.

Apollo

Wizard
W
Hello community, I'm trying to moving my data from one TrueNAS, to another TrueNAS where I have a bigger pool size.
Because I reorganized the datasets on new pool, I need to copy one directory at the time. Total data to move is 5TB in a pool of 24TB total.

To do that I'm using rsync (same issue with scp anyway). So copy from old pool to new pool via network:

Code:
rsync -avh /mnt/tank/share/UTILITY root@192.168.10.100:/mnt/tank/share/UTILITY

This will start copy, such directory is 90GB, but after a while it stops with the following error:

Code:
Connection to 192.168.10.100 closed by remote host.
rsync: [sender] write error: Broken pipe (32)
rsync error: error in socket IO (code 10) at io.c(848) [sender=3.2.7]
Any clue please?
Thank you
Lucas
Why not using replication?

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer