Moving boot from usb to ssd

giacombum

Explorer
Hello,

After experiencing an high failure rate of USB sticks, I decided to move my boot pool to SSDs, but I have a couple of questions:
1) I'm using 64GB USB drives, should I use SSDs of the same or bigger capacity, right? I cannot use, for instance, a 32 GB SSD.
2) Which SSDs are recommended? Can I use SSDs with sata-usb3 adapter and connect the SSDs to the USB3 external ports? Or is better to avoid such devices? And what about PCI to m2 adapters?

Thanks in advance!

Alecmascot

Guru
I use 32GB SSD MSATA in a PCI-E adapter like this.
M-SATA Adapter
I have this in 3 servers running for more than 3 years now.
Each boot image uses about 1GB.

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
The minimum recommended size for a boot pool device is 16 GB. I use USB3->M.2 adapters for both of mine, as my system is out of SATA ports.

jlpellet

Patron
I have had good results from small SSD's (32-128GB) in various USB external enclosures attached to USB 2 ports. On USB 3 motherboard ports, I have repeated issues accross several systems with upgrades not properly creating the new boot parition after the FreeBSD move away from GRUB. Running on USB 2 ports, on the same systems, have had no issues. Good luck.

giacombum

Explorer
Thank you for your replies! So, I'll try to stau away from USB3 anyway...
I don't remember how many PCI available I've on my motherboard, anyway recently I purchased a PCI-SATA adapter, so I can try to use it together with the SSDs: it has 4 SATA ports and I've planned to add just 1 HDD, so I still have 3 spare ports. What do you think? Or is better to use PCI->M.2 adapters?