Move from FreeNAS to ESXi & Virtual FreeNAS

Status
Not open for further replies.

MartynW

Dabbler
As I understand it FreeNAS is now sort of supported under ESXi as long as you use pass-through.

I currently have FreeNAS running on a Super-micro X10SL7-F system flashed to IT.

I would like to ideally move this to a system running ESXi with FreeNAS running in a VM supplying storage to the base system and have noted this guy has a blog on how-to using similar hardware.

If I follow his instructions am I able to move my 1 encrypted zVOL (RAIDZ2) to the new FreeNAS VM?
If I restore my config, will my plex jail be preserved?
What about my iSCSI extents?
My plan is to use a new USB boot device, add a new HDD to the on-board SATA (not LSI) to install the VM. This way if it doesn't work, my original FreeNAS setup will be still available and unharmed?

What pitfalls can I look out for?

m0nkey_

MVP
I'm of the opinion if you have to ask questions about virtualizing FreeNAS, you shouldn't be virtualizing it.

That being said, it should be a case of making sure VT-d is enable and you passthough the HBA, attach your drives, restore your config and you're good.

Scharbag

Guru
As I understand it FreeNAS is now sort of supported under ESXi as long as you use pass-through.
Not sort of supported, it works fine. Big key is you need VT-d and adequate resources. I just did this and it works well. Install ESXi on new USB and use a SATA HDD (or 2) for the FreeNAS system. The blog you referenced is a great resource.

Cheers,

dedeaux

Dabbler
I have read Ben's post as well and think it has a lot of great information. I too am interested in doing this -- moving my current working FreeNAS system to a VM. I am happy to answer questions, but my reasoning is that I'd like to run several VMs off the hardware that I am using for FreeNAS only currently. I've done my homework and this is the best option for me aside from expending more cash to build a second machine. The hardware I have will easily host a few VMs that will ultimately provide the function I need for my home network.

That aside... I am currently sitting at a hobbyist level of understanding and will need guidance.

What path should I take to do what I describe above: go from working FreeNAS setup to virtualized instance of same setup (plugins, volumes, etc.)

I do read "restore your config" above, but could someone expound on that process? Thanks!

MartynW

Dabbler
Thanks to the posts above talking about VT-d, stupid oversight by me. I have a i3 and wanted to try it before spending money. With i3 this of course isn't possible. Ordered a Xeon e3 1271 from eBay.

Still aware I'm massively under RAM'd and will upgrade again if this works for me.

@dedeaux
Restore config is a setting in the gui from memory, this is a fairly basic part of the whole process, beware, I'm a noob too compared to the old guard, this is a complex task and should be researched.

MartynW

Dabbler
So I took the plunge, about 6 hrs in and things are going well.

Things to note
- The latest ESXi 6.5 doesn't work with my set up, it hangs on something like lsi-msgpt2 Started, ESXi 6 however works fine
- I passed through a 1 GiB NIC and a 10 GB NIC and keep the same IP address and it all worked a charm, iSCSI mounts and all.
- There is an extra step if you are using encrypted disks. You need to detach the volume and import again with your geli.key
- My plex server didn't like the above step and the system needed another reboot before that came back

Status
Not open for further replies.