Mounting Issue -- Helppppppp

Status
Not open for further replies.

TechAway

Cadet
Hi there , Just wondering if some one may come up with a solution for these :

I have installed FreeNAS on my oldy gold desktop which contains a small 20 GB SATA Disk. FreeNAS has been installed on that internal disk on Partition 1. Everything went smooth till the time I decided to mount my 2 USB Devices. I have got a 250 GB external HDD and a 8GB USB Pen drive. They both contain my precious music collection ( mostly Rock and Metal). Now I first tried to mount the 8 GB drive (Both carrying NTFS filesystem on them) , Here is what I did :

a) Hooked up the drive to one of the free USB port at the back of my desktop

b) Opened the Web GUI from ma laptop and went to Disk Management and added the 8 GB ensuring that the "Preformatted File SYstem" option says Unformatted.

Now !!! , this is what happened next ..

c) I went into Mount POint settings and selected the "Partition type" as MBR since the instruction at the bottom says clearly : " if you want to mount a UFS formatted drive or do imported disks from other OS"

d) I selected the Partition Number as 1.
e) I selected the Filesystem as NTFS

I leave rest untouched and tried to Save ... I get the below error :
  • Wrong partition type or partition number

Guys , where exactly I am goofing it up ?. I mean I know that my drive is formatted on a Windows 7 laptop with NTFS and then I had put my music stuff into it and connected it to the NAS boc. SO technically and as per the defination on on the GUI what I did sounds to be correct. Appreciate to bear my long story :)

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
What version of FreeNAS are you using? Your description sounds like the old FreeNAS which became nas4free

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

TechAway

Cadet
Just an update ..... If I select the CD/DVD option under "Partition Type" on Disks|Mount Point|Addpage it allows to mount the USB drive.

TechAway

Cadet
What version of FreeNAS are you using? Your description sounds like the old FreeNAS which became nas4free

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

Thanks pirateghost for getting back ... i must say that was blazing fast :)

Ok, as per the release notes i see on the WebGUI it says : NAS4Free 9.1.0.1 - Sandstorm

TechAway

Cadet
I think pirateghost has showed me the right direction. Thanks buddy. Yes, it seems what i installed is Nas4Free and not the "real" FreeNAS . I just checked the website. Could you please help me with one final thing.
Do you recommend that i should wipe clean my NAS4FREE and install FreeNAS from scratch or can i upgrade my existing installation with FreeNAS ( i can see a GUI upgrade 32 Bit link on the website)... Please suggest .. Thanks again.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
You cannot 'upgrade' to FreeNAS because it is an entirely different OS.

you have 2 choices: replace your nas4free install with freenas or head over to the nas4free forums and continue using that product.

obviously my bias is going to tell you to wipe it and load FreeNAS... but you can make your own decisions ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.