Mounting from zfs:freenas-boot/ROOT/11.1-U7-1 failed with error 45

Fnuxus

Cadet
I run a freshly installed FreeNAS 11.3-U1 on a HP Proliant Microserver Gen8 with 16 GB of RAM and 4 x 4 TB harddisks configured as RAIDZ2 with an imported config file from an older version. I boot from a TrekStor i.Gear Prime 64 GB USB SSD drive.

The first update failed. :oops:

See attached screenshots. Any idea?

Attachments

• freebsd_update.png
    freebsd_update.png
    97.8 KB · Views: 462
  • IMG_7085.png
    IMG_7085.png
    545 KB · Views: 505

Alecmascot

Guru
From the image your "upgrade" is actually a downgrade. 11.3 to 11.1 .
This is a bug but it helps if you are observant.
Try:
Code:
midclt call update.set_train FreeNAS-11.3-STABLE

Kscheer

Dabbler
I just tried updating to what I thought was going to be 11.3-U2.1 and got the same exact same error as FNUXUS. My system is very similar to his/hers and like him/her the attempted update was actually a downgrade - weird glitch! I am not a newbie, but perhaps just one level higher at this point. I would like to try the fix suggested by Alecmascot, but I do not know how. Where do I enter this code and how? I only have the “mountroot>” prompt or the “db> prompt”. I had been using 11.3-STABLE prior to the update attempt. Thanks.

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
Try to boot back into 11.3-U1, using the instructions in the Guide, section 2.5.5. Then once you're back in 11.3-U1, run that command from shell.

Kscheer

Dabbler
I had been using 11.3, but when I reboot the only boot environments listed are as shown in the attached photo? Not sure what happened to 11.3-U1? Which environment should I try to get to shell? Then I can try the suggested code.

Any other thoughts about how get out of this. I did save my last configuration prior to the update, but I do not know how to restore that with out the GUI?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    247.6 KB · Views: 450

Samuel Tai

You can try initial install, which will get you to the freshly-installed state and GUI. Then you can apply your saved config to get back to just before the upgrade attempt.

Samuel Tai

Also, default should be the environment before your upgrade attempt.

Samuel Tai

When you get back in, delete the non-working 11.1 boot environment.

Kscheer

Dabbler
Well, I got back in with the “default” boot environment. The first thing I did was to apply my saved configuration, but when it rebooted thereafter, I got the same original error 45 message as before. Unfortunately, I did not delete 11.1 first - might have made a difference? But now, when I try to boot with the “default” environment, it does not let me back in - I get the same mounting error 45 as originally. I am planning on trying a different boot environment now - same choices as before - I will try “Initial-Install”, which is likely an old version. Not sure why “default” no longer works? Hopefully I can get back in.

Kscheer

Dabbler
Having weird issues. I was able to get back in with the “Initial-Install” environment long enough to connect to the GUI. But when I was in the process of navigating to delete 11.1, my FreeNAS server without prompting either shut down or decided to reboot seemingly without any prompting. This resulted in the same mounting error 45 as originally! I am now in the process of trying to find a boot environment that lets me back in again. I tried “Initial-Install” again, but it failed this time - got the error 45 thing again. Perhaps I should try the code via shell that. Alecmascot had suggested when/if I camn get back in again?

Samuel Tai

Urk... Looks like all your boot environments are toasted. You'll have to fresh-install 11.3-U2.1 to a new boot drive, and upload your config after the install completes. Then re-import your pools.

Kscheer

Dabbler
Well, I did get back in using the “default” boot environment now. The first thing I did was to start shell. I ran the code from Alecmascot. This resulted “True”. I then rebooted my system - this resulted in the same mounting error 45 as all along. Frustrating.

Samuel Tai

OK, if default works, then set it as the boot environment for the next reboot, and delete the bad 11.1 boot environment. I think the error 45 is because the broken 11.1 is the default boot environment.

Kscheer

Dabbler
It may come to a fresh install. I will let you know how it turns out. Since I seem to be able to boot in at least intermittently, I might try loading an earlier saved configuration file, or run the update again, or take out one or the other of my mirrored USB boot drives. Would the boot environments on both of the USB’s likely be corrupted?

Samuel Tai

If you mirror your boot drives, yes, it's possible one of the mirrors is bad, and you're getting in on the other.

Kscheer

Dabbler
I am successfully back in the 11.3-U1 GUI now. Okay, I set “default” - which is 11.3-U1 - to be active now and on reboot, and I have deleted 11.1. I will try a reboot. If it works, would you think it safe to still attempt the upgrade to 11.3-U2.1? Or do you think the update was glitchy and caused this problem in the first place?

Kscheer

Dabbler
I may have to tinker with the mirrored USB’s then too. If the robot fails, I will try pulling one or the other. No alerts are listed though regarding the mirrored USB drives. Perhaps it would be wise to pull one of the USB drives before an update in the future? That way wouldn’t the pulled drive still have the old configuration as a back up? Once the update is shown to be working, I could then resolver the second drive as a mirror, correct?