Mount NTFS formatted USB flash drive in TrueNAS via a CLI/SSH session

mughal

Cadet
I copied some data to a USB flash drive from a Win11 machine. The flash drive was formatted NTFS. I wanted to copy the contents from that flash drive to my QNAP TS-453Be running TrueNAS 13.0-U4. These were the consolidated steps I took. YMMV.

-) Physically attach the flash drive to one of the rear USB ports of the unit. When inserted into the front port of the unit, the flash drive doesn't seem to get detected for some reason.

-) SSH into the TrueNAS unit and run "dmesg" (without quotes) to see how the drive was detected. If successful, look for the device name it was mounted as. For my flash drive, it was identified as "da1". The device associated with it was now showing up in /dev as "/dev/da1" and the partition on it was "/dev/da1p1".

-) Run "kldload fusefs" (without quotes) to load the system's NTFS driver.

-) Create a mount point. For me, it was "mkdir /mnt/flash" (without quotes).

-) Run the mount command to get the flash drive mounted. Using a syntax of "mount -t ntfs <device partition> <mount point>" and with the following entries for my situation:

device = /dev/da1p1
mount point = /mnt/flash

this is what worked for me:

"mount -t ntfs /dev/da1p1 /mnt/flash"

You'll likely need to update the command syntax for your situation/setup (such as your particular device/partition as well as mount point).

I ran "ls /mnt/flash" to confirm that I could see my content and then proceeded with my copies. Once I was done, I dismounted my flash drive:

-) Run "umount <mount point>" or in my situation "umount /mnt/flash"

Then eject the flash drive:

-) Run "camcontrol eject <device>" or in my situation "camcontrol eject /dev/da1"

Hope this helps.