Monitoring FreeNAS via the Icinga native client.

Status
Not open for further replies.

curtii

Dabbler
Hello, and thanks in advance for any input.

I'm currently building a monitoring server for my network, running Icinga 2. I've found and read a thread that shows how to monitor FreeNAS via Icinga using NRPE. If at all possible, I would prefer to use the native Icinga client instead of NRPE.

I've got this working on a separate FreeBSD (11.0-RELEASE-p1) virtual machine I spun up specifically to test this. The relevant part of the setup (I.E. the only problematic part in FreeNAS) was installing the icinga2 package (which appears to have included the other required package, monitoring-plugins). I understand that for FreeNAS, it is strongly recommended to use jails (as discussed in this thread) to install packages, and not the primary FreeBSD platform it runs on. Unfortunately, unless there is something I'm misunderstanding something about how jails function, this would not work because only the jail would be monitored, and not the actual FreeNAS system, which is the point of installing this package in the first place.

From what I've read, I don't know if installing packages is actually possible and just discouraged, or if it's certain to break something or there are other specific known issues. If there is anything I can try doing to get this package to work in FreeNAS, I'd be willing to take the risks associated.

In case it's relevant, here are my system/hardware details:
Build: FreeNAS-9.10.2-U1 (86c7ef5)
Motherboard: Supermicro X10SRi-F
Processor: Intel Xeon E5-1620 v3
Memory: 32GB Hynix HMA84GR7MFR4N-UH
Drives: 4x 4TB HGST Ultrastar 7K4000 - Striped/Mirrored

Edit: If there is a way to install the package to a jail, and get monitoring statistics for the host FreeBSD system, that would be preferable as well. The way I understand it that wouldn't work though, so please correct me if I'm wrong there.

Last edited:
D

dlavigne

I don't know if installing packages is actually possible and just discouraged.

It's not possible (well, anything's possible if you forcibly hammer it in, but don't).

Status
Not open for further replies.