ML30 Gen10

tholitz152

Dabbler
Good day everyone! New user here on Truenas. Now, I’m planning to but ML30 GEN10 HPE Proliant, is it okay to install Truenas? I just want to sure if it is compatible or not.

Specifications below:

HPE ProLiant ML30 Gen10 E-2234 3.6GHz 4-core 1P 16GB-U S100i 4LFF 350W PS Server

Processor
: Intel® Xeon® E-2234 (4-Core, 3.6 GHz, 71W)
HDD: 4 x 1TB HPE 1TB SATA 7.2K LFF SC DS HDD
RAM: 16 GB UDIMM DDR4 2666 MT/s (1x 16 GB)
Network Controller: Embedded 1Gb 2-Port 361i Ethernet Adapter
Storage Controller: Embedded S100i SW RAID with 4 SATA ports
Internal Storage: 4 LFF HDD Bays (Hot Plug) 1x M.2 PCIe 3.0 x2 slot
PCI-Express Slots: 4 PCIe 3.0 slots
PSU: 350W ATX Power Supply
Fans: 1 non-hot plug, non-redundant system fan
Form Factor: Tower (4U)

Follow up question: Is the PSU that has 350W enough to consume power to 4 HPE HDD 72K?

Please enlighten me!:smile::smile:
Thank you!!!

Last edited:

blanchet

Guru
HPE like rebranding all the components in their servers so it is not easy to find which chips are really used on the mainboard.

But, according to ServeTheHome, the HPE Proliant ML30 Gen10 has many common points with the HPE Proliant Microserver Gen10+ which works well with TrueNAS.
  • Both servers use the same storage controller (an Intel chip) that can be configured in AHCI mode for TrueNAS.
  • According to the ubuntu hardware database, HPE Embedded 1Gb 2-Port 361i Ethernet Adapter is an 2-port Intel i350 NIC like on the Microserver (which has 4-port version)
  • 350W is far enough for 4 disks + several PCIe boards. Indeed the Microserver has only a 180W power supply for its 4 hard disks
So I think that the HPE Proliant ML30 Gen10 should work very well with TrueNAS (and many other operating systems).

Last edited:

tholitz152

Dabbler
HPE like rebranding all the components in their servers so it is not easy to find which chips are really used on the mainboard.

But, according to ServeTheHome, the HPE Proliant ML30 Gen10 has many common points with the HPE Proliant Microserver Gen10+ which works well with TrueNAS.
  • Both servers use the same storage controller (an Intel chip) that can be configured in AHCI mode for TrueNAS.
  • According to the ubuntu hardware database, HPE Embedded 1Gb 2-Port 361i Ethernet Adapter is an 2-port Intel i350 NIC like on the Microserver (which a 4-port version)
  • 350W is far enough for 4 disks + several PCIe boards. Indeed the Microserver has only a 180W power supply for its 4 hard disks
So I think that the HPE Proliant ML30 Gen10 should work very well with TrueNAS (and many other operating systems).

Thank you for your effort sir! Good to know!

flingwing

Cadet
This is helpful thanks!

ragametal

Contributor
@tholitz152 did you have the chance to confirm if truenas is indeed compatible with the ML30?
I'm thinking about buying the same unit and, while the articles by "servethehome" implies that it should work, i just wanted some reassurance before committing to a purchase.

tholitz152

Dabbler
I bought this very recently and I can't able to install Truenas 12-U4.1 right now and it says: panit: mountroot: unable to (re-)mount root. What does it mean Mr. @blanchet ?

blanchet

Guru
Please provide more information
  • did you configure the Storage controller in AHCI mode ?
  • did you boot in UEFI or LEGACY mode?
  • did you succeed to start the installer ?
  • could you post the full screenshot to understand that happened.
  • did you succeed to install another operating system on this machine ? (for example Ubuntu Server 20.04)

tholitz152

Dabbler
Please provide more information
  • did you configure the Storage controller in AHCI mode ?
  • did you boot in UEFI or LEGACY mode?
  • did you succeed to start the installer ?
  • could you post the full screenshot to understand that happened.
  • did you succeed to install another operating system on this machine ? (for example Ubuntu Server 20.04)

Thank you sir. I just enabled the AHCI mode and it worked.
Here's my setup rig XD

Attachments

• 223475079_552759885910975_3866965847716181934_n.jpg
    223475079_552759885910975_3866965847716181934_n.jpg
    352.1 KB · Views: 281

ragametal

Contributor
@tholitz152 ,could you tell us your experience with the noise level of that machine when running truenas?

During my research I found that HP servers may become very noisy when used in with TRUENAS. The reason seems to be that, when the onboard disk controller is set to “AHCI”, the fans gets stuck at 43% all the time unless a daemon called “Agentless Management Service” (AMS) is installed.

The problem is that the AMS is only available for linux systems which is incompatible with truenas as it is based on FreeBSD.

Can you please let us know if this is true in your experience?

tholitz152

Dabbler
@tholitz152 ,could you tell us your experience with the noise level of that machine when running truenas?

During my research I found that HP servers may become very noisy when used in with TRUENAS. The reason seems to be that, when the onboard disk controller is set to “AHCI”, the fans gets stuck at 43% all the time unless a daemon called “Agentless Management Service” (AMS) is installed.

The problem is that the AMS is only available for linux systems which is incompatible with truenas as it is based on FreeBSD.

Can you please let us know if this is true in your experience?

@ragametal I've just installed Truenas 12-U4.1 perfectly after I enabled the AHCI using the said server above and I can say that it is very quite like normal desktop even if you're 1ft away from ML30 Gen10. Very nice.

Hhmm I don't know this AMS but I've just installed the Truenas core and set some users and accounts, pools, shares, etc without any noise coming from the HP Server.

I'll update here if there's a problem with my new Truenas server. ^^

ragametal

Contributor
@tholitz152 ,
Thank you so much for your response as very few people have been able (or willing?) to report their experiences with this particular unit and Truenas.

I need to buy a new server and I'm in the verge between the ML30 GEN10 or a truenas MINI X+. I was leaning towards the ML30 due to brand recognition and price but i will be installing it near my workstation and noise is a real concern.

Now that you told me that the noise is not that bad, i guess the ML30 is back on my list.

Thanks again for the feedback about your experience.

Anna

Cadet
Hello Guys,

Is there anyone point me to the right direction, recommended setup to add disk to my existing server HPE Proliant ML30 Gen9 with 4x 4tb that we need to expand, without losing existing data. What card and enclosure we need. Thanks

jgreco

Resident Grinch
is there any recommended DAS and card, thanks

DAS for a deskside server is unusual and hard to do right. You may want to consider getting a different server. Make sure that you get an HBA, nor a RAID card, to connect any additional drives.

Anna

Cadet
DAS for a deskside server is unusual and hard to do right. You may want to consider getting a different server. Make sure that you get an HBA, nor a RAID card, to connect any additional drives.
is there any HBA card compatible to HPE ML30?

jgreco

Resident Grinch
is there any HBA card compatible to HPE ML30?

Probably any of them. I can't think of a good reason that an arbitrary PCIe card designed for server use would be incompatible.