First NAS build

Insellr

Cadet
First build here, just wanted to see if anyone see's any issues with these components. This is just for a small home NAS, serving up video via Plex, backing up laptops, PCs, etc..

I got my hands on a HPE Microserver Gen10 Plus. it has the Xeon® E-2224 (4-Core, 3.4 GHz, 71W) and a 16GB stick of Ram in it and the ILO enablement kit. ordering the following to fill it up.

Qty.1 - Supermicro AOC-SLG3-2M2 PCIe Add-On Card for up to Two NVMe SSDs
Qty.2 - Samsung 970 EVO Plus SSD 250GB - M.2 NVMe (Was thinking one for boot and one for Jails)
Qty.4 - Seagate Enterprise Capacity 3.5 HDD 10TB (Helium) 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s 256 MB Cache

Any thoughts, gotchas etc...

Thank you!

Yorick

Wizard
Seagate Enterprise Capacity 3.5 HDD 10TB (Helium) 7200RPM

Cooling in that case? Also, the seagates are loud. Fine if you don't mind either.

Samsung 970 EVO Plus SSD 250GB

Overkill for boot, a small 128GB affordable NVMe is fine. For jails, why? You are giving up redundancy and Plex won't hammer the pool to the point where you need an SSD. I don't understand "single SSD for jails", though it seems popular with some people.

Supermicro AOC-SLG3-2M2 PCIe Add-On Card for up to Two NVMe SSDs

No idea - seems overkill for boot. Do you have a SATA port free to boot from an Intel 320 40GB? Those are USD 15 on eBay.

Insellr

Cadet
Thanks for the reply. I am very new to FreeNAS I saw folks in various threads dedicating a drive to Jails, so just "assumed" that would be the way to go. I'll pick up some smaller NVMe drives for boot and just mirror them. I went with the card because other than the 4 LFF drive bays there are no other SATA ports in the box. As far as cooling I would think it would be ok for 4 drives . Lastly it will be iupstairs in the office, so not worried about the noise.

miles267

Cadet
Just signed up to report back on Supermicro AOC-SLG3-2M2 PCIe Add-On Card for up to Two NVMe SSDs. Picked one up, couldn't get the HPE Gen10 Plus Xeon BIOS to even detect this card, much less see either NVMe drive on it. Tried various combinations of BIOS settings without success. If anyone has found the secret, please advise.

Insellr

Cadet
Just signed up to report back on Supermicro AOC-SLG3-2M2 PCIe Add-On Card for up to Two NVMe SSDs. Picked one up, couldn't get the HPE Gen10 Plus Xeon BIOS to even detect this card, much less see either NVMe drive on it. Tried various combinations of BIOS settings without success. If anyone has found the secret, please advise.
I picked up one of these for boot, so far so good! I wish they made a dual version for redundancy...