Mixed protocol environment (AFP/CIFS)

Status
Not open for further replies.

omata

Cadet
Hi,

I'm triying to share files using AFP for MACs and CIFS for Windows, so I configured a bunch of users that belongs to specific areas, all work fine until I try to access from Windows, files created from Macs, I review every permission and I figured out that AFP set a "s" permission for every file, If I enable "AFP3 Unix Privs" it add another permission and relax a little bit the access to the files.

I had look almost the entire forum, wiki, how tos and documentations and I couldn't fix this issue, so my question is how I can share files using the integrated user verification with AFP and CIFS without permission forbidin the access to the files?

I just want that users of the same area (Windows and Macs / AFP and CIFS), could read/write/modify files from their areas.

I'm using 8.0.1 Beta4

Best regards,

Oscar.

sgk

Dabbler
Maybe this will give a clue. I created a CIFS share and named it WindowsShare, by default on /mnt/NASDATA (my volume name) and then started the CIFS service with workgroup name = WORKGROUP. I activated CIFS service. Then I created an AFP share and named it AppleShare and it was created again by default on /mnt/NASDATA. Created an AFP service with user named chief and a password (for chief). I activated the AFP service. Then from my old PPC iMac, when I connect to server... using afp://IP_address_of_nas_server (asks for user name and password -> give the ones you used when you created the afp service), I can see and read the files created on the CIFS share by my samba Linux machine.

omata

Cadet
I did the same, but any file created by a Mac user trough AFP can't be modified by a Windows user that belongs to the same group of Mac user that created the file.

Oscar.

sgk

Dabbler
The Mac user I created (chief) belongs to the same group (guest) that the guest user of the CIFS share. I haven't tried to create a file through AFP service to see if it is modifiable by Windows. I'll tey and let you know.

Status
Not open for further replies.