Migration from old volume

Status
Not open for further replies.

Todd Nine

Dabbler
Hi guys,
I've been evaluating FreeNas in a striped/JBOD configuration with a few external USB drives I had laying around. They were connected to an old MBP and used for network time machine backups, so I'm not currently at any greater risk than I was previously for data loss. I really like FreeNas, and I'm now going to invest in 4 x 3TB drives. My current setup is the following

/mnt/origdisk => Striped-> Old Internal Desktop 500G HD, external 1T USB, external 500G drive

I'm going to migrate to this (initially)

/mnt/newraid => RAIDZ1 -> 3 x 3TB drives

I then want to migrate all the data from the /mnt/origdisk mount point to the /mnt/newraid, then remove the /mnt/origdisk mount point, and mount /mnt/newraid as /mnt/origdisk. This means I won't have to redefine all of my configurations (I think) and everything will "just work". After the migration is complete and working, I'll remove the old hard drive that's in the striped volume, and put in the last 3TB drive and expand the new RAIDZ1 volume.

First, is this a feasible migration plan?

Second, are there any tools/functionality in the UI that will help with this? If not, I'm fine with using the shell. I'm a software engineer that works on distributed systems that run on *nix, so I'm comfortable with ssh and the shell.

Any insight/guidance is much appreciated!

Thanks,
Todd

Dusan

Guru
I'm not sure this is such a good idea. There's not much you would need to reconfigure. Just point the shares to the new mountpoint and you should be done.
However, if you really do want to rename the pools, this should work:
  1. Detach both newraid and origdisk via the GUI (make sure to uncheck the Delete all shares related to this volume checkbox when exporting the origdisk).
  2. Run these command to rename the pools:
    [PANEL]zpool import -R /mnt origdisk olddisk
    zpool import -R /mnt newraid origdisk
    zpool export olddisk
    zpool export origdisk[/PANEL]
  3. Auto Import the volumes via GUI.

Sir.Robin

Guru
I am doing something similar as we speak. my old pool "vol01" has ashift 9. Want it to be 12 wich according to FreeNAS is the correct option.

Created a new pool "vol02" of 3 drives. RaidZ (didn't have enough power cables for more).
Migrated all my datasets to the "vol02"
Destroyed and recreated my old "vol01" with same name as before.
Migrating data back to "vol01" :)

Now i can restart my CIFS and all should be ok.

You can rename a volume too.

Status
Not open for further replies.