migrate from USB to SSD mirror

Status
Not open for further replies.

beeph

Dabbler
is there an easy way to do this? I found an old thread outlining a manual process, but I think I'd rather re-install than do that.

I have the 9.10 installed on an old 8GB USB, and have had bad luck with USB's. So I bought 2 80GB x-25's and wish to migrate the OS to that mirror.

Nick2253

Wizard
All you need to do is backup your config, install FreeNAS on your new SSDs (the install will prompt you to configure the mirror), and then reimport the config. Easy, simple, and recommended.

beeph

Dabbler
I did this.. when i went to import my volumes, "failed to decrypt" ( I usually have a 50% success rate re-importing after a change so I back up everything - no data loss)

stuck the USB stick back in, all shares/volumes/users look identical, but using same recovery key/passphrase, it mounts fine.

I have what appears to be an identical config on 2 mirrored X-25 SSD's.. but on my original deployment on the USB it works.. on the supposedly identical one migrated to the SSD's, it doesn't.

If i try to import volume using the raw devices, it does the Step 3: choose volume to import with the blank space in it deal, and also fails to import.

I also removed the 2 SSD's from the bays, it may have changed the names of the devices on the other disks, da0-da3 => dao-da1, if this is used in the encryption hash it may throw things off.. just a theory.

Typically I'd expect a change like this to be difficult and would just erase all the volumes and re-create them on a new install, but it would take a while to migrate all the data back on, so would be cool to get this backup config method to work.

Last edited:

Nick2253

Wizard
Are you sure you didn't fat-finger the passphrase? To my knowledge, there shouldn't be anything here that is causing a problem. If you've got the key and passphrase, you should be good to go.

beeph

Dabbler
Are you sure you didn't fat-finger the passphrase? To my knowledge, there shouldn't be anything here that is causing a problem. If you've got the key and passphrase, you should be good to go.

yeah I'm sure, i tried multiple times, with multiple methods. I never mistype the passphrase during normal operation anyway. I've had this problem when migrating pools before - it seems to be real picky about what SATA port its on, or something. Typically i just create a new pool and migrate the data. I never have any luck with managing the pools after they're initially created, even for simple things.

I also download/restore the OS config file to a windows box from the web configurator, maybe it's some kind of BIN/ASCII issue with that transfer corrupting.

PS arcfour is gone from ssh so now i can't use this cheap encryption method for my backup box rsync/ssh anymore :( My speeds took a bit of a hit and i'm looking to avoid another big data migration this time.

I think i'll try a fresh install then just import the pools manually.

Last edited:

Zpid

Cadet
yeah I'm sure, i tried multiple times, with multiple methods. I never mistype the passphrase during normal operation anyway. I've had this problem when migrating pools before - it seems to be real picky about what SATA port its on, or something. Typically i just create a new pool and migrate the data. I never have any luck with managing the pools after they're initially created, even for simple things.

I also download/restore the OS config file to a windows box from the web configurator, maybe it's some kind of BIN/ASCII issue with that transfer corrupting.

PS arcfour is gone from ssh so now i can't use this cheap encryption method for my backup box rsync/ssh anymore :( My speeds took a bit of a hit and i'm looking to avoid another big data migration this time.

I think i'll try a fresh install then just import the pools manually.

Did you also export the key or created a recovery key for the encrypted (?) pool? This key will not be saved in the configuration backup and needs to be selected from import volume wizard.

I had a problem last time when changing hardware when the import with recovery key refused to work, and used the following way instead:

Boot up from your original USB stick, enable SSH if it's not already, SFTP to your freenas and copy the /data/geli/<randomnumber>.key
Go back to your new install that you uploaded your config to, enable SSH and SFTP the key to /data/geli/ (you may have to create the geli folder), reboot.
You can use filezilla for SFTP if you do not have another prefered application.

beeph

Dabbler
Boot up from your original USB stick, enable SSH if it's not already, SFTP to your freenas and copy the /data/geli/<randomnumber>.key
Go back to your new install that you uploaded your config to, enable SSH and SFTP the key to /data/geli/ (you may have to create the geli folder), reboot.
You can use filezilla for SFTP if you do not have another prefered application.

your method worked. I used putty sftp and went to /data/geli and saw the directory was empty. i sftp'd the keys in.. for others who aren't ftp savvy

Migrating from install A to install B using client C:

download all your recovery keys from install A to client C
run your sftp program of choice on client C (I used windows/putty sftp)
>open 192.168.xxx.xxx [install A IP]
login
>cd /data/geli
>mget *

put all the .key files into a directory on client C (keys/)
reboot to install B
run your sftp program of choice on client C again
>open 192.168.xxx.xxx [install B IP]
>cd /data/geli
>mput keys/*

open browser on client C, log in, unlock drives on install B using recovery keys on client C + passphrase

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.