Migrate datasets with snapshot to remote machine

AMiGAmann

Contributor
Hi,

I am currently running TrueNAS-SCALE-22.12.3.3. I have multiple datasets, detailedly configured ACLs and periodically snapshots on those datasets.

I am planning to build a new system also running TrueNAS-SCALE and want to migrate the existing pool/all datasets including permissions and snapshots to the new system (I do not want to move the harddisks).

Is it possible to configure a remote replication task on the source system replicating all datasets including configuration and snapshots to the destination system? Are the configured permissions included? If so I guess I have to configure user/groups first on the destination system to be able to match the ids of users/groups? I guess the periodic snapshot tasks have to manually created on the destination system again?

Or what else is the best way to achieve this migration?

I am also running some virtual machines on the TrueNAS-system. What is the best way to migrate those machines from source to destination?

Thanks in advance!

Best regards,
AMiGAmann

AMiGAmann

Contributor
Nobody any hints what is the best way to migrate dataset including permissions from one box to another?

You have got it about right so nothing much more to say. Just remember by default your replica datasets will be read-only unless you change that in replication settings or after migration from the CLI. Also shares will not be replicated so they will need recreating. Don’t forget once you have flipped over to the new system to disable replication otherwise new changes on the new system will be wiped out at next replication.

AMiGAmann

Contributor
Thank you for your reply!

Are the permissions also replicated based on user and group ids? So I better create the same users and groups on the destination system before?

What about VM migration? Should I stop the VMs on the source, replicate the dataset with the harddisks to the destination, create the VMs manually on the destination and reference the copied hds or what else way to go?

Best regards,
AMiGAmann

Are the permissions also replicated based on user and group ids? So I better create the same users and groups on the destination system before?
Yes.

What about VM migration? Should I stop the VMs on the source, replicate the dataset with the harddisks to the destination, create the VMs manually on the destination and reference the copied hds or what else way to go?
This is something I have not done so can’t offer any practical advice.