Memory Upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

sapper

Dabbler
I'm want to upgrade the memory in my FreeNAS box from 6GB to 24GB. I currently have 6 1GB dimm's in the system and will be replacing them with 6 4GB dimm's.

This system is headless and what I need to know is am I required to acknowledge anything from the system that would require me connecting a monitor and keyboard during start-up, or can I just remove the old, insert the new, power up and walk away?

survive

Behold the Wumpus
Hi sapper,

I think it really depends on the system. Some don't care about a change in memory size but some notify you that there has been a change. Personally, I would plan on having quick access to a monitor & keyboard just in case, particularly if the plan is for a quick up\down replacement. That said, if I were swapping out memory I would plan on running a few passes of memtest+ while it was down just to be sure.

Put another way, odds are it won't need a head if you have a head connected or close by.

-Will

sapper

Dabbler
Good to know.

The memory is in another server of mine right now (a Poweredge 2950) going through memtest+ as I wrote that last post and still is. I have a spare monitor I can use when installing, its just a pain logging everything around and was really hoping I wouldnt need to. But I guess murphy's law will prevail. I shall log the monitor over and have it ready if need be,

titan_rw

Guru
Even if it passes in the machine it's in now, I would memtest it again in the machine it's going to be in long term.

Especially if it's non-ECC you want to do everything you can to make sure the memory's good before letting zfs loose with it and your data.

sapper

Dabbler
The memory is ECC (PC2 5300F). All 24 GB went through memtest for 5 complete passes without issue, no errors :). I popped it in the NAS box this morning and its been humming long without issue. You bring up a good point though Titan, perhaps tonight I'll let memtest run it through the gauntlet on the NAS box as well for two or three passes to see how it does.

Status
Not open for further replies.