Maximize write performance to NAS with 6x HDD - single raidz1 versus vdev group of 2x 3HDD?

flashdrive

Patron
Hello,

what would be the preferable option for a homelab setup with 6x HDD:

a) single raiz1
b) vdev group of 2x 3HDD?

How would one setup option b) to have only a single shareable storage space?

Received advice:

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
You're calling it a "lab"... what's your expectation regarding reliability and data integrity?

The "best" option for performance (both IOPS and throughput) is a striped pool.

If you don't mind keeping backups and having "downtime" while restoring occasionally while accepting lost "work" since your last backup, that's already enough said.

If you're keeping important data on it (then I would argue it's not a lab), you will probably want some redundancy to avoid losses between the last backup and disk failure, so then we come to your question on the "best use" of 6 disks for that.

I saw in your other thread that you're using exclusively SMB and Windows clients, so you may not really be seeking sync writes, but you may (depending on what files you're transferring/writing) need IOPS.

In order to have maximum IOPS, you would use mirrors, which mean that you're not restricted to the IOPS of just one HDD. In the case of 3 mirrors, you get the IOPS of 3 disks.

If it's throughput you need (fewer files, but larger size per file), then RAIDZ2 should work out fine.

Have a look at some of the thinking in this thread in terms of disk numbers:

flashdrive

Patron
Hello @sretalla

Thank you for your post and link.

> You're calling it a "lab"... what's your expectation regarding reliability and data integrity?

It is currently a lab to check out what can be done. I am investigation bot CORE and SCALE.

Clients:

MacOS and Windows, both using SMB

The main purpose is a storage for mostly larger file sizes. Windows and Time Machine backups as well.
Home usage, less than 5 clients accessing at the same time.

> If it's throughput you need (fewer files, but larger size per file), then RAIDZ2 should work out fine.

Yes, I am currently looking for throughput.

What is to say against 2x RAIDZ1 with 6 disks?

This is also the ongoing discussion in the other thread.

Hence my question if option b) is a feasable one and how to set this up.

Kuro Houou

Contributor
Joining this thread as I am in the same boat… my RiadZ2 6 disk config is abysmal in performance… hitting a max of roughly 220MB/s for write speeds and around 300MB/s for reads on my 10G network :(. I have a 7 disk Raidz1 pool (I know not apples to apples) on another server that gets 2X those speeds.. so trying to figure out this question myself ;)

rvassar

Guru
Joining this thread as I am in the same boat… my RiadZ2 6 disk config is abysmal in performance… hitting a max of roughly 220MB/s for write speeds and around 300MB/s for reads on my 10G network :(. I have a 7 disk Raidz1 pool (I know not apples to apples) on another server that gets 2X those speeds.. so trying to figure out this question myself ;)

It's the vDev's. You only have 6 drives, so your RAIDz2 is one vDev. When you write to it, it behaves as if you're writing to a single disk. All the drives perform the I/O in lockstep, and it's not acknowledged as complete until the slowest drive returns success. The RAIDz1 pool likely has two vDev's and issues IOPS in round-robin between them. It will issue I/O to the first vDev, and then move to the second and issue more, hop back to the first, etc... In order to have two vDev's in RAIDz2 you have to meet the fault tolerance requirement for each vDev, so you'd need 8 drives (and could suffer 2 failures in each vDev).

Kuro Houou

Contributor
It's the vDev's. You only have 6 drives, so your RAIDz2 is one vDev. When you write to it, it behaves as if you're writing to a single disk. All the drives perform the I/O in lockstep, and it's not acknowledged as complete until the slowest drive returns success. The RAIDz1 pool likely has two vDev's and issues IOPS in round-robin between them. It will issue I/O to the first vDev, and then move to the second and issue more, hop back to the first, etc... In order to have two vDev's in RAIDz2 you have to meet the fault tolerance requirement for each vDev, so you'd need 8 drives (and could suffer 2 failures in each vDev).

My RaidZ1 pool is one vdev, all 7 disks in one.. no mirroring or striping of vdevs going on. But yeah, wasn’t planning on trying raidz2 with two vdevs, was gonna try 2 raidz1 vdevs, which only needs 6 disks.

Attachments

• 7D098F81-5C00-47DD-9195-441B863BF1BA.png
    7D098F81-5C00-47DD-9195-441B863BF1BA.png
    483.4 KB · Views: 170

sretalla