Mapped network share vs iSCSI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick Howard

Contributor
Can anyone else confirm read write speeds they get when comparing the two. I've just created a zvol and set it as an iSCSI target for my windows machine. I was expecting better read and write performance using iscsi than the mapped network share but the opposite is true.

I suspected at first that this was because I created a device extent rather than a file extent. I went back and created a file extent and even though there was a slight improvement it still wasn't the performance gain I expected to see.

ISCSI (device extent)
55kyo7.png

ISCSI (file extent)
aa865e.png

Network Share
ztdbh4.png

Last edited:

zambanini

Patron
I do not see any real difference here, sequential accesS: here is your nic the limit, every other thing: pool tuning..

mav@

iXsystems
iXsystems
For the beginning, what version of FreeNAS are you using? 9.2.1.6 got optimization to ZVOL-based extents, so I am curios whether these numbers are with them or without.

For the second, there is new experimental iSCSI target in 9.2.1.6. You may try to enable it to compare the results.

Nick Howard

Contributor
For the beginning, what version of FreeNAS are you using? 9.2.1.6 got optimization to ZVOL-based extents, so I am curios whether these numbers are with them or without.

For the second, there is new experimental iSCSI target in 9.2.1.6. You may try to enable it to compare the results.

I'm still running 9.2.1.5

I will probably upgrade this next couple of weeks. I hadn't seen the iscsi target was part of the upgrade, that's good to hear.

Status
Not open for further replies.