Managing jails on multiple pools

James Mason

Dabbler
Hi

I've looked in the documentation but it doesn't seem to cover this part.

Reason for question: I'm looking at recreating my Plex server on a new SSD pool that I have added to my TrueNAS server. I'm recreating rather than moving because I have a very simple Plex setup and I've done it before without much hard work, whereas if I move it and then encounter issues that will likely be much more hard work.

When on the Jails page on the TrueNAS UI if I hover over the cog (top right) the tooltip is "Choose Pool for Plugin and Jails Manager". Can someone please help me understand the logic here behind having a "Plugin and Jails Manager" that specifically wants to deal with a single pool, instead of having an option on the pool Jail creation page asking "Choose a pool to install this new jail to".

Is it because it wants to show a list of only the jails that are within the iocage on the current pool that you have selected? If so I would have thought a simpler way to do this would have been to display it in the way that pools are shown on the Storage>Pools page where it shows one pool with the datasets, etc. nested underneath it and then it shows the next pool in the same way and so on.

Or have I completely/somewhat missed the point of this?

Also, as per my reason for the question at the top of the post, can I just go ahead and create a Plex server on a new jail on the new pool and delete the old one from the original pool or will installing a new Jail on a new pool mess up settings for existing other jails on the original pool?

Thanks in advance.

(edit: corrected the word pool to Jail as I was talking rubbish)

Last edited:

sretalla