Mail Server on TrueNas

xames

Patron
is out there any simple mail server to move my business mail to my home server? Thanks.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
You can install Dovecot for IMAP and Postfix or Sendmail for SMTP in a jail. Sendmail is already included, Postfix is an additional package. The rest depends on your definition of "simple".
  • how many mailboxes?
  • are you comfortable using the command line?
  • is SMTP and IMAP sufficient or do users need some kind of web mail?
  • do users need to set auto reply messages?
  • do you need spam filtering?
  • do you have a fixed IP address (or a complete subnet) at home? - if you don't, IMHO forget it
Kind regards,
Patrick

I agree with @Patrick M. Hausen - Think long and hard about moving your mail server "home". Mail server reputation is a big thing especially if you have a home IP address. Many mail server will not accept mail directly from home ISP server IP ranges as the reputation of those ranges are automatically listed as spam.

I used to host my own mail server but the hassle was not worth it.

xames

Patron
SMTP and IMAP sufficient.
Command line not so many, only a little time here.
Spam filtering yes but maybe later.
Fixed Ip not, only dynamic dns services like dyndns, all firewalled by unifi.
Mailboxes about 10.
No autoreplay.

With simple i refer to simple manteinance and installation due my new command line user.

Last edited:

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
How do you intend to connect your mailserver to "the Internet"? If you only receive via MX to DynDNS but send (authenticated) through the relay host of some service provider, it may work. Sending from a dynamic IP address is a sure recipe for disaster. Seriously.

What are you hoping to gain? I have all my mailboxes at my provider, but run a dedicated Postfix instance on my OPNsense (could be a jail on TrueNAS, absolutely no problem) for local sending. So my devices like NAS, UPS, ... can drop their outbound mails locally and Postfix sends them authenticated via my provider's mailserver. That does make sense, IMHO - because a stupid device like an UPS will simply drop any notification if the mailserver cannot be reached. So better have it local.

But communication with the public Internet? Beware! :wink: