• Currently using VMware at work? We want to hear from you.

Thinking of making a switch from VMware? We'd love to hear your thoughts and feedback about which hypervisor you have been researching or already using. Click here to vote and share your thoughts! You can vote HERE!

lu_disk_lbwrite errors when copying large files

Status
Not open for further replies.

rcase13

Cadet
I have FreeNAS-8.0.2-RELEASE-amd64 (8288) running on a Workstation 8 virtual machine. I have created a 50GB ZFS volume and am using it as a datastore for an ESX 5.0 cluster. I am presenting the volume to ESX using iSCSI. When I try to copy a large vmdk file to the datastore it copies fine for about 2GBs of the 31GB vmdk file then starts spewing out the following errors:

Nov 14 04:38:37 freenas_prod istgt[1681]: istgt_lu_disk.c:3960:istgt_lu_disk_lbwrite: ***ERROR***lu_disk_write() failed
Nov 14 04:38:37 freenas_prod istgt[1681]: istgt_lu_disk.c:6051:istgt_lu_disk_execute: ***ERROR***lu_disk_write() failed

Smaller files less than 2GB work just fine. What could cause FreeNAS to fail on large files?

laser47

Cadet
I've had the same problem, and it's spewing all the time now causing my VMWare ESXi 4.1 server to lock up. I was copying a large vmdk file (1TB) from one datastore to another when I received the first error. Smaller files of 30-60 GB copied fine. I do have an error in the message log when I boot FreeNAS that the partition doesn't begin or end on a track boundary. I've seen in another thread that this is just a warning because ZFS doesn't understand VMware's vmfs format.

I've got 4 x 2TB drives in raidz2, and created 3 x 1TB ZVOL devices extents that I've added to my iSCSI initiator. In VMware, I've combined these into a single datastore. VMware can't talk to a LUN 2TB or larger, so I've split them out like this. The file that I was copying probably crossed the boundary into the second LUN.

I saw some suggestions to disable CHAP, and to scrub the volume. I've disabled CHAP without any change, and the scrub is still running with the ESX server off. :(

* Are there any advanced settings either in FreeNAS or VMware that I should check? I've used defaults for them both. I've had the VMware connected to a Linux iSCSI target and LVM for a year or so with these settings.
* Does it matter that I used ZFS Volumes intead of creating a file extent? Are there any advantages / disadvantages to setting it up one way or the other?
* Should I worry about the Geometry error about not beginning or ending on a track boundary?
* Any other suggestions or places to look?

Status
Not open for further replies.