LowTDP RackBuild

WarOfDevil

Cadet
Hello everybody!! I am about to start with my first FreeNAS shopping-build, I would like some help since I am struggling so much to find the right CPU+Mobo for me. The requirement for my build are:

- Rackmount chassis with 8 hot swap SATA3 drives, I am planning to buy the following: ServerCase
- Motherboard with ECC DDR3; I do have plenty of RDIMM and UDIMM 1600Mhz modules at home.
- CPU with low TDP possible; unfortunately my rack cabinet is located in a room where it's always quite warm, and I want to avoid high speed fan to keep the noise low.
- 10Gbit SFP+ needed to connect my freenas box to my hypervisor machine (I don't really need an onboard one since I do have a couple of Mellanox pci at home)
- IPMI would be nice to have but not a requirement, problem is that I don't really digest the java version of supermicro :(

I will first start with probably 6 drives WD Red, the nas has to be capable of streaming video with plex, provide scsi drive to my hypervisor with 10Gbit network, provide nfs shares to windows/linux and owncloud.

I was looking at the european second hand market on ebay and look like the E5-2630L v2 is quite popular and cheap (60 euro inc shipping), is it a good option for me being a quad core 8 thread 60W?
Can maybe somone point me out on a motherboard were I can connect my 8 drives as well?

Thank you in advance!

IQless

Contributor
The "low TDP" benefits of the Intel *L CPU's are often just a non-L CPU that has a lower base frequency. Yes, this often means that it generates less heat, but do remember that the CPU will then use more time to do the same calculations oppose to a CPU with a higher frequency.

Also, remember that the CPU will stay idle most of the time and at Idle an E5-2630v2 and E5-2630Lv2 is almost identical when it comes to heat.

Another thing to think of is that the HDD's needs to stay cool, placing them in a place with a high ambient temperature, and "skimping" on the fans, will often shorten the life span of the drives drastically.

Just something to consider :)

WarOfDevil

Cadet
Thank you for the reply :)
For the ambient temperature I am already working on that, in September I will install a large window in the attic, were the rack is located. That should solve my issue.

For the CPU at this point, I do have an E5-2620 v2 at home, I could probably use that instead of buying an L version. Do you maybe have any motherboard to suggest me? I am trying to find something on the Asus website, but they don't show any legacy motherboard anymore for that socket.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
@IQless already warned you off the low-TDP parts, something I would have done as well. You can actually end up generating more heat with a low-TDP part because you run at full power for a much longer time to do the same work that a normal part will shoot up and run at a much higher clock speed for a short period of time.

ASUS doesn't really make many server boards. You may wish to look at Supermicro instead.