[Low Priority] SSD caching as long as possible, before writing to disk (power saving)

Status
Not open for further replies.

diskdiddler

Wizard
Don't a heap of FreeNAS users have USB drives now for booting? I know I do.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Don't a heap of FreeNAS users have USB drives now for booting? I know I do.
Of course, but every so often, someone asks whether it's ok.

diskdiddler

Wizard
So is it now taboo to run FreeNAS from a USB disk? I mean the subthread of this entire thread is about me having the ability to work with data off a USB volume instead of the main one (at least for jails etc)

pschatz100

Guru
So is it now taboo to run FreeNAS from a USB disk? I mean the subthread of this entire thread is about me having the ability to work with data off a USB volume instead of the main one (at least for jails etc)
I did not get the impression that anyone said it was taboo to run FreeNAS from a USB stick. However, one must accept their limitations: USB sticks are not particularly reliable, especially for writes. For the most part, they are OK for reads which makes them suitable for boot devices. However, they do have a limited lifespan.

On my first FreeNAS, I put my jails on a USB stick. Lots of headaches after about 6 months - I will not do that again. I don't personally have any experience with USB hard drives or SSD's on FreeNAS, but there are enough posts in the forums about USB problems that I'm wary about relying on USB for data that I care about.

Status
Not open for further replies.