SOLVED Lost in ZFS stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Binary Buddha

Contributor
Anybody know of any ZFS RAIDZ calculators?

I'm planning on an upgrade and I'm trying to figure out how much RAM I would need at a minimum to follow the 1GB RAM per TB disk space rule.

My server case can fit 15 drives and I already have 5x 8TB drives running seperate from the boot drive and the cache drive. I'm trying to figure out how much ram I would likely need if I were to fill the other 10 bays with 12TB drives. Or even get them all up to 12TB.

I'm hoping that 64GB DDR3 ECC/non-ECC UDIMM would be sufficient. Else I'd have to drop a pretty penny and max out at 512GB DDR3 ECC LRDIMM. I'm using an Supermicro MBD-X9SRH-7F-O.

Yes, I've already googled it. But, I don't see any that options in the different types of RAIDZ stuff.

m0nkey_

MVP
The general rule is outdated these days. FreeNAS requires a minimum of 8GB RAM with 16GB being recommended by the community. 64GB RAM will be plenty for the size of pool you have in mind.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer

anmnz

Patron
Seems to work for me.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
No. It works fine in Chrome, Fire Fox, Internet Explorer and even Microsoft Edge.
If it isn't working for you, your browser or your firewall is not allowing it to work.

Binary Buddha

Contributor

anmnz

Patron
Status
Not open for further replies.