Looking for Upgrade guidance

tobo

Dabbler
Hi, I am thinking about upgrading my TrueNAS Server, which I built 8 to 10 years ago with FreeNAS 8 or 9 initally. It's reliability has impressed me over years, a failed disk in the first year was the only thing that had to be replaced and that went smooth. But I feel it's performance isn't up to my needs anymore, also I am thinking that a new machine could also be more power efficient nowadays. The machine mainly serves as a file dump and backup server for me (just set up Proxmox Backup Server as all other machines are running Proxmox), I would probably move stuff like Nextcloud and Photos Management back to TrueNAS from another host - but that should be it.

Here are the changes I am considering - with a somewhat limited budget in mind. I would love to get your thoughts on this.

1. move from 6x 3TB WD Red to 4x 14 - 18TB / 7200RPM, I read that CMR is a must. Any recommendations? And what about these fancy technologies like "Flux Control Microwave Assisted CMR" (I'm not making this up). Worth thinking about?
2. The old Xeon E1220LV2 really seems to have been a bottle neck, and I would like to go for 4 or 6 cores. In the past few years I have used AMD CPUs for everything, how is todays notion about these, for example a Ryzen 5 Pro 4650G (that would also save me from buying a GPU it it's power consumption)?
3. 16GB ECC to 64GB ECC -> no brainer
4. I am using an LSI2008 based HBA (I think IBM 5015), which is PCI 2.0 8x. Any real world benefit in switching to a newer, PCI 3 or 4 based HBA? (I also saw configurations here with no HBA mentioned at all, but that doesn't feel right to me)
5. Supermicro SC9... mainboard. I have good experience with Asrock Mainboard, for example a B550 Pro4. Again, suitable for TrueNAS?
6. Ethernet: Intel I210-T1 LAN-Adapter or similar. At a later point I am considering to switch from 1GBit to 10GBit, that will require some investment in my networking hardware. But I wouldn't want to limit myself beforehand with improper hardware for the NAS.

Hope I didn't miss anything important, please let me know if so.

Thank you for your help!