Looking for specific HW recomendations for 1GByte/sec throughput array

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ron Watkins

Dabbler
I would like to create an freenas array using 12G SAS drives with a throughput capability around 1GByte/sec.
This would likely be served through a 2-port 8Gbit FC card such as the QLE2562.
Workload is 50/50, multiple block devices. Im thinking that I will need 2 or 4 such arrays (around 2-4GByte/sec total throughput).
The idea would be to stripe the block devices on the clients using LVM to aggregate the performance of each array.
I would like get as much space as possible. I was thinking about using the 8Tb SAS 7.2k Seagate ST8000NM drive family.
What I don't know:
1) How many spindles will I need to get around 1GByte/sec random R/W performance? This will help me decide what kind of storage server to purchase as well as the size and number of drives per array.
2) How much CPU will be required to support the workload (1GByte/sec random R/W)? Will I need a E5-2690 V4 or will a lesser processor work?
3) Any recomendations on chassis or MB would be appreciated. Yes, I read the HW guide, recommending supermicro, but im un-familiar with their offering. Their web site seems to offer a lot of options, but I don't see prices anywhere.
4) I already contacted IXSystems, and they turned me down thinking it would be too difficult to achieve, even after I suggested client-side striping of multiple arrays.
5) If 1GByte/sec is un-realistic, what kind of throughput can I expect from a 12 to 24 drive SAS 7.2k configuration? This might help me determine how many arrays I would need to build to achieve my throughput goals.
Thanks

depasseg

FreeNAS Replicant
What is your budget? 1GB, heck even 10GByte/s is achievable if you have the budget. 2-4 should be doable.
Step 1: RAIDZ vdevs provide sequential throughput roughly equal to the sum of the data drives (so a 12 drive RAIDZ2 would have 10 * a single disk throughput).
Step 2: RAIDZ vdevs have the IOPS of the single slowest drive in the vdev
Step 3: Vdevs are additive, since you are effectively striping across them. The best way to improve IOPS is to add vdevs (or go all SSD).

Assuming you plan to use sync writes, you will need a low latency battery/capacitor backed PCIe SLOG.

Status
Not open for further replies.