looking for some wordly feedback on my next build

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrHands

Dabbler
ive been playing about with freenas for over a year now, i originally bought the Asrock C2550, not knowing the horrendous issues with the watchdog and the voltage sensors. My motherboard failed and i returned it, got the same one back RMA'd and i fullyt expect it to fail again.

So, instead of risking all my data i decided to get a new motherboard/CPU and re purpose the 4 core avoton board for pfSense.

Then i was made redundant by my company (oil and gas market stuff), and after over 13 years at the company i got a golden handshake, which has made me think about simply going back to college (im still in my early 30s so plenty of time i hope)... just realized its maybe time to persue something i enjoy (computer science), rather than something i fell into (oil and gas engineering).

So i'm taking the leap and going back to school full time.

Now question is, should i just go with a server that meets my needs right now?

I believe the Supermicro MBD-X11SSM and a Xeon E3-1230 V5 is more than plenty for what i use my server for right now. Those two components come out to about $450 which is a good price point.

However, the more i read about virtualization and the things i can do, i'm really tempted to get the Xeon D-1537, however it starts to get a bit pricey with the Supermicro X10SDV-TP4F (http://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboard/Xeon/D/X10SDV-7TP4F.cfm) costing about $850, with slower clock speed but double the cores. For that price it comes with alot more than just the extra cores, 10Gbe, more SATA/SAS connectivity etc.. which may be nice for the future but not really neccesary right now.

Huge benefit of the Xeon-D is power consumption, TDP is 35w which is really impressive, where as the E3-1230 is 80w, however i believe the E3-1230 with about 6 drives should idle around the 40-50w mark.

Anyway, just wanted some ssagely advice from you guys... i really dont want to spend $450 on the E3-1230 combo and then regret it in a year or two.

Status
Not open for further replies.