Looking for feedback on new home NAS build

Wyzard256

Cadet
I'm planning to build a new FreeNAS server soon, to replace a 13-year-old Linux machine (desktop PC repurposed as ad-hoc NAS). It'll be used for backups from several other computers, as well as storing some large files that aren't accessed often. I may run some VMs on it as well, though I don't have any specific plans or requirements in that regard. I don't expect to use it for anything demanding — no video transcoding or real-time data streaming, for example.

Here's the hardware I've picked out:
  • CPU: Core i3-9100. I'm going with the i3 because i5 and higher don't support ECC, and a Xeon seems like overkill for a lightly-loaded system. I want a chip with an integrated GPU so I don't need a separate video card. I'm only looking at Intel's 9th-gen chips, because they require the fewest software workarounds for Meltdown/Spectre-type flaws. I wouldn't mind getting an i3-9300 instead, but nobody seems to sell it.
  • Motherboard: Gigabyte C246-WU4. Supports the i3-9100 and unbuffered ECC RAM. Built-in Intel NIC.
  • RAM: 2x Crucial 16GB unbuffered ECC DDR4, which is on the motherboard's supported list. 2x8GB would probably be adequate, but I want to have extra RAM for VMs and such. I know this part is rated for 2666 and the CPU only supports 2400, but the 2400 ECC parts on the board's supported list are either unavailable or more expensive than the 2666. This is the only ECC RAM that Crucial's own website lists as compatible with the board.
  • Disks: 6x WD Red 4TB, RAIDZ2.
  • PSU: Seasonic FOCUS Plus 550W. This is a bit more than I need — I think 400 or 450 would be ideal, from the guidelines in the FreeNAS hardware guide — but I like that the FOCUS Plus is fully modular, and 550 is the smallest in that line. It also leaves room to add more disks in the future.
  • Boot device: Adata 16GB SATA DOM. No special preference for this particular one; it's just what I found. Alternatively, the motherboard has an internal USB port so I might just stick a flash drive there.
  • Case: Fractal Design R6. Alternatively I might re-use the old CM Stacker case that houses the machine I'm replacing, but I'd have to get a second 3.5" bay adpater for it.
All together, comes out to about $1500 USD.

Are there any problems with this setup that I'm not seeing? Things I could do better? (Note that I've never used FreeNAS before.)

lightwave

Explorer
  • Motherboard: Gigabyte C246-WU4. Supports the i3-9100 and unbuffered ECC RAM. Built-in Intel NIC.

The Gigabyte C246-WU4 seems to be using an on board ASMedia ASM1061 HBA for two of the ten SATA ports. Older posts indicate that this HBA did previously not work with FreeNAS, but this may have been fixed. Another concern might be whether this HBA implements the SATA flush cash commands correctly (i.e. FLUSH CASH and FUA). Not all budget HBA’s and USB-to-SATA adapters seems to do this. Unfortunately, this is one of few hard requirements for ZFS to maintain a consistent on disk format and lack of it could potentially cause pool corruption in case of a power loss. However, as long as you only use SATA ports 1-8 which seems to be handled by the intel chipset you should be fine.

• PSU: Seasonic FOCUS Plus 550W. This is a bit more than I need — I think 400 or 450 would be ideal, from the guidelines in the FreeNAS hardware guide — but I like that the FOCUS Plus is fully modular, and 550 is the smallest in that line. It also leaves room to add more disks in the future.

I just bought this PSU for my build. A little concerned that it is hard to find additional SATA cables if you want to connect more than 8 drives. It seems I can get Corsair cables everywhere for nearly no money, but Seasonic cables are difficult to find and expensive. Haven’t made up my mind whether to switch to another PSU or not.

• Boot device: Adata 16GB SATA DOM. No special preference for this particular one; it's just what I found. Alternatively, the motherboard has an internal USB port so I might just stick a flash drive there.

There are many reports of USB flash drive boot devices failing with FreeNAS. The general recommendation is to use either a SATA DOM or a cheap SSD (avoid WD Green though). I am using two Kingston UV500 SSDs for my build as they are much cheaper than a decent SATA DOM.

Wyzard256

Cadet
A little concerned that it is hard to find additional SATA cables if you want to connect more than 8 drives
It comes with connections for 8? The cable list on Seasonic's website only shows 6: one 4x and one 2x. But I have spare Seasonic cables from another PC with fewer drives, so I should be OK if I want to add more drives later. (And if not, I can just get a Molex adapter.)

I am using two Kingston UV500 SSDs for my build as they are much cheaper than a decent SATA DOM.
Hmm. I see a 240GB UV500 on Amazon for the same price as that 16GB DOM, which is certainly a better value. But 240GB for just the boot device seems like a big waste of space, so I don't know if it's worth taking up an extra power cable and more space in the case.

(Also, for the record: I just checked and it looks like the board's two special SATA DOM ports are connected to the Intel chipset, not the ASMedia HBA. I was worried since there are two of them and the HBA provides two ports, but the labels printed on the board show that they're the last two of the eight Intel ports.)

CraigD

Patron
@Wyzard256 My feed back is read the Hardware Recommendations

This is an example of a great freeNAS build for a budget price

Buy the right CPU, motherboard, and RAM, it will last years. It is easy to add RAM, drives or more storage (Your not limited to one case)

Have Fun

lightwave

Explorer
It comes with connections for 8? The cable list on Seasonic's website only shows 6: one 4x and one 2x.

You are quite right. I was mistakenly looking at the 650w on their web page (which comes with two 4x). This does, present me with a problem... I need to find more SATA cables or buy a different PSU :-(

lightwave

Explorer

Wyzard256

Cadet
@Wyzard256This is an example of a great freeNAS build for a budget price
I'm wary of buying computer parts from random eBay sellers, even if it's cheaper. That's also old stuff: the C204 chipset was launched in 2011, and the Xeon E3-1230 v2 is from 2012 and is discontinued. I'd rather stick to current-generation hardware when buying. I'm also a little wary of Supermicro because of the alleged backdoor thing (though the credibility of that seems dubious).

I've read the hardware guide, and my selections are informed by guidance there. The motherboard and CPU I picked aren't among the ones that it specifically lists as being popular, because of the Supermicro thing and wanting current-gen hardware, but the section on motherboard selection mentions that workstation-grade boards can be a reasonable alternative to server boards, and that's the idea that I went with.

I looked at ASRock Rack first, but none of their current server boards mention i3 compatibility; they just say Xeon E-2100 series. I could go with one of those, but they're more expensive and higher-wattage than the i3, and I don't think I need the extra RAM bandwidth or features like TSX-NI or vPro.

lightwave

Explorer
The hardware guide recommends against those — the SATA power connector isn't designed for the current draw of multiple drives spinning up, and apparently it can be a fire hazard. Better to go with the Molex one.
Thanks. Did not know that. Molex it is.

Constantin

Vampire Pig
I'd look at the Supermicro X10SDV-2C-7TP4F as well. It's a storage oriented, low cost, low power, motherboard with 18 SATA ports (two of them SATADOM compatible), two PCIe 3.0 x8 slots, one mSATA slot, one m.2 slot at PCIe 3.0 x4, and on-board SFP+. In other words, this motherboard likely can take care of all your SOHO storage server needs for the next 10 years, if not longer.

Granted, it's a Flex-ATX board (so choose your case carefully), but the price point is very competitive compared to the C3xxx series boards out there and arguably a better choice for SOHO storage applications. The only downside to this motherboard series is that Supermicro builds them with the expectation of high air flow across the heat sinks. Both the CPU and the LSI 2216 HBA chip (under the other large heat sink) can get hot without proper cooling.

I wouldn't read too much into the SuperMicro story on account of the excellent reporting over at ServeTheHome. They did a deep dive and my takeaway is keeping the BMC/IPMI ethernet interface isolated from your general network is a very good idea (regardless of motherboard brand). I simply keep mine unplugged unless I need to use it.