Logging in with su doesn't work

KevDog

Patron
I've reported this issue in the past however the developers really blew me off (which kind of pissed me off but whatever).

I ssh into the main freenas installation.
If I try to become root with su and type in root password -- I'm being rejected.

Code:
freenas% su
Password:
su: Sorry

I can become root like this:

Code:
freenas% sudo su
[root@freenas /mnt/tank/home/kevdog]#

I can then go ahead and change root password via passwd command.

Once changing the root password I can then subsequently login with su.

BUT --- if I reboot the system. I'm in the same situation. The password can't even be changed at the boot menu entry (which I refer to as the console) labeled as change root password.

I need to do a sudo su, change password, exit, then a su.

Is this only on my installation? I reported a bug however the people at jira kept asking me what the console was, and didn't understand what I was saying.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
I can then go ahead and change root password via passwd command.
You should be doing this in the GUI.

I can't remember the specific setting(s) off the top of my head but I'll look at my config when I get home from work as far as logging in as root.

KevDog

Patron
@Jailer

So I looked in the GUI and the under the root user -- Disable Password = True. I suppose I should change this to True here and then change the password within the GUI.

Ok thanks. That makes sense to me --- the Middleware was overwriting what I had temporarily set.

Thanks for pointing me in the correct direction.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
That is correct, you have to enable password login under the root account. Glad you got it figured out.