Local replication to encrypted pool not working

panz

Guru
Hi,

I'm trying to locally replicate one pool to another pool in the same machine; destination pool is encrypted using zfs native encryption; it gives the error "Destination dataset 'test2' already exists and is it's own encryption root. This configuration is not supported yet. If you want to replicate into an encrypted dataset, please, encrypt it's parent dataset..".

I tried every possible combination - both on the sending side and on the receiving side - of encrypted/unencrypted pool/and or dataset (so, including "parent dataset" or originating pool) without success.

artlessknave

Wizard
it tells you what to do. the parent dataset of the destination needs to be encrypted. I'm not sure why, exactly, but it does.
tank/a-dataset -> tank/crypto/an-encrypted-dataset
I assume if your pool was encrypted this error wouldn't occur, since the parent would already be encrypted for every dataset.
"parent dataset" or originating pool
the parent dataset is the dataset above it in the destination pool hierarchy (tank/crypto), not the source (tank/a-dataset).

douglasg14b

Dabbler
This error also isn't making sense to me.

The parent pool for the replication destination is encrypted afaik. There is no parent dataset for the destination.

> Destination dataset 'Offsite Backup' already exists and is it's own encryption root. This configuration is not supported yet. If you want to replicate into an encrypted dataset, please, encrypt it's parent dataset.

The error states the destination is already encrypted. And I need to encrypt it's parent, however, there is no parent dataset to encrypt here. That's the root dataset of the pool...

artlessknave

Wizard
the root dataset IS the parent. if it's encrypted, though, I don't know why it says it needs to be encrypted.
unless.. is it a legacy GEOM encryption?

are you trying to replicate to the root dataset? if so, don't do that, it doesn't play well. have a dataset for your backups. also, I highly recommend to avoid spaces and capitals when possible, it just adds headaches everywhere for no benefit.
eg
source: tank
Destination: backup\tank